Incredible Subzero Performance

JamesB

I have seen several posts that discuss using a welding blanket with the rt-700 during cold weather. Based on how mine has performed during the first winter I’ve owned it, I can only suspect that I am very fortunate in how protected from the elements my setup is.

My Bull is aligned against a brick wall, is sheltered by a 5 foot hedge on one side, and sits under a roof on our side porch.

I fired it up last Thursday when it was basically minus three degrees outside, it too about 25 minutes to hit 425, and reliably stayed within plus or minus 2degrees the entire cook for a whole roasting chicken, without any type of insulation.

In my humble opinion, an outstanding performance and the chicken was incredible.

I had mine out in -4* (-37* with wind chill), no cover, not back up against a wall or covered and ol Cheech kept smoking and temps without a problem! Did see a pellet consumption increase but I felt that was to be expected.

-14 with mine. Zero issues with holding Temps. I will be testing a felt blanket to test pellet consumption in the next couple of weeks

I tried a black felt welding blanket, work well but the black crap that builds up around any opening gets a bit sticky when hot. Eventually the blanket stuck to it, kind of messing up the blanket. The blanket also got sticky from built up crud on it. Tossed it after a winters use. The little smoker works fine without, just might burn a bit more fuel.

I only use my 590 weekly, so I don't find the excess pellet burn to justify a blanket. Holds temperature fine.

I have seen several posts that discuss using a welding blanket with the rt-700 during cold weather. Based on how mine has performed during the first winter I’ve owned it, I can only suspect that I am very fortunate in how protected from the elements my setup is.

My Bull is aligned against a brick wall, is sheltered by a 5 foot hedge on one side, and sits under a roof on our side porch.

I fired it up last Thursday when it was basically minus three degrees outside, it too about 25 minutes to hit 425, and reliably stayed within plus or minus 2degrees the entire cook for a whole roasting chicken, without any type of insulation.

In my humble opinion, an outstanding performance and the chicken was incredible.
Great to know. Thanks for sharing. :)

on Xmas i made a prime rib. Wow it was a struggle to get it up to temp. RecTeq was set to 300 and reading 302 and my Therma Pro was showing 200. Unfortunately I didnt realize it until 90 mins in with the meat sitting at about half the temp i was expecting.

I finally cranked it up to 450 to get my internal temps to hit 300. Needless to say... dinner was late and I was in the dog house!

We bought the RT Winter Coat for our Bull .... which I see they no-longer offer
The issue we found was; with Max Temp Cook, using it, it scorches the underside of the Blanket
We'll crank then Grill up to "MAX" to heat the "Grill Grates" or run it at 425 to smoke a Pizza
All too hot for the RT Winter Cover

The Bull has its Winter Coat.jpeg

But it does help on days like this ;):
Got Snow.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back