If you could only have 3 rubs...

gpbst3

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bullseye
Im patiently waiting delivery of my Bullseye.

Im looking to get 3 rubs to cover beef/steak, pork and chicken. There are so many out there I want to see if there is a consensus on some of the top choices. Im not interested in making my own at this time. Thanks

Check out the Meat church rubs
They have a nice variety

I bought the 8 pack, a few nice ones

My top 3

Killer Hogs Hot BBQ
(Great all around pork chicken rub with great color and a little kick

Meat Church Holy Cow
(Great on beef, nice heavy pepper flavor)

Heath Riles Pecan Rub
(Low salt, heavy pecan, great on fish and chicken)

Runner up
Killer Hogs AP Rub
(It’s a basic salt, pepper and garlic all purpose but man, it’s a great combo he has going in this. Heavy on the garlic without being to salty)

There are a ton of rubs out there!

I bought the pack from RecTeq and have not bought any since. It is alot of rub!

That being said I use salt and pepper almost exclusively on beef. We cook a lot of fish using salt, pepper and garlic. Pork I use the RT screaming pig rub, Chicken the Asian persuasion rub is good, the Freakin Greek is great as well. The durty girl bloody mary was good, but they discontinued it.

I think once you get going you will find you dont need a ton of rubs, I say keep it simple! I do agree that SPOG you could use for anything.

Dalmatian Rub (Salt and pepper - equal parts)

Really, that's pretty much my main rub for brisket. Steak and other beef cuts I generally just use salt.

Bad Byrons Butt Rub for pork.

Lemon Pepper for chicken.

I do like to try various rubs just for fun. Cooking Tri Tips today with 2 Gringo's Chupacabra rub on them. Saw it yesterday and decided to give it a shot. We'll see how it goes in a few hours.

I'm simple and what I've found best over the years can get me by with only two:

Beef: Salt, pepper (sometimes garlic powder) does this count as 1?

Pork: Famous Dave's (Say what you will, I've tried tons of stuff and keep coming back to it. Bonus, it's inexpensive and can be found at most grocery stores)

IMHO the meat should be the flavor with a slight enhancement from the smoke and even less from the rub. Never had a complaint yet.

I bought the 8 pack, a few nice ones

My top 3

Killer Hogs Hot BBQ
(Great all around pork chicken rub with great color and a little kick

Meat Church Holy Cow
(Great on beef, nice heavy pepper flavor)

Heath Riles Pecan Rub
(Low salt, heavy pecan, great on fish and chicken)

Runner up
Killer Hogs AP Rub
(It’s a basic salt, pepper and garlic all purpose but man, it’s a great combo he has going in this. Heavy on the garlic without being to salty)
I agree, just have to add the HR rubs to my selection, I have the Kosmos Q sweet honey pecan on deck. Always hear good things about Heath Riles rubs

I'm simple and what I've found best over the years can get me by with only two:

Beef: Salt, pepper (sometimes garlic powder) does this count as 1?

Pork: Famous Dave's (Say what you will, I've tried tons of stuff and keep coming back to it. Bonus, it's inexpensive and can be found at most grocery stores)

IMHO the meat should be the flavor with a slight enhancement from the smoke and even less from the rub. Never had a complaint yet.
I love Famous Dave's! I use it on chicken and pork.

Dan's Backyard BBQ All Purpose Rub (Chicken/Pork/Turkey/Fish/Wings (yeah I know I said chicken/turkey)
Oakridge BBQ Santa Maria Grill Seasoning (Beef/Lamb/Burgers)
Oakridge BBQ Smokey Chile Lime All Purpose Rub (Chicken/Pork/Turkey/ Wings)
and a fourth for extra credit:
D.L. Jardines Steak Seasoning (Beef/Burgers)

But as mentioned, there are sooooo many good ones out there, the list could go on!

I've been using John Henry's Texas Brisket rub for years now. I use it on all red meats from brisket to ribs and steaks and even on salmon.

For chicken, I've been using RecTeq's Freakin Greek rub.

I have a lot of other rubs, but these two do 95% of everything I do.

For the holiday ham, I use John Henry's Sugar Maple rub. This stuff is awesome.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back