Stampede How to do Hamburgers

Burgers on the Weber tonight.

First time I tried hamburgers on my RT500, I used the slow low temperature method. They were delicious, but thickened during the smoking and did not fit well on the bun. Because the became a bit rounded, they were continually slipping out of the bun. Today, I am trying the smash burger style, i.e. pressing down to make a thin patty and cooking them on the grill grate at 500° for 4 to 6 minutes on each side. I’ll see how that works.

My first try with burgers on the Bull turned out really nice.

Attachments

• IMG_6773.jpg
    IMG_6773.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_6774.jpg
    IMG_6774.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_6775.jpg
    IMG_6775.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 133
We smoke the 1/3lb Patties from Costco
Thawed, at 250 for 45 mins to an hour+, depending on the "doneness" desired
R=120-125, MR=130-135, M=140-145, MW=150-155, W=160-165

I did burgers for my first time on my bull. Set to 250-275 for about 20-30 mins each side. Pulled them when the burgers were at 145-150 and let them rest for 5-10 mins. Best burgers i ever had!

Thanks...did the weave on flat surface , put meatloaf on top, wrapped the bacon up the sides and then turned it over. It was pretty easy. What I forgot to mention is it was the best meatloaf we ever had.

I grate a sweet onion about a quarter cup and mix it with Dukes Mayonaise with a little horseradish. I then mix that into the ground chuck (80/20) and make into thick patties. I use Rec Teq bloody mary mix as a rub. I then smoke the burgers on 225 for about 45 minutes to an hour. Then I set the grill to 400 plus with a grill grate in there. I cook the burgers on one side then the other for reverse shear. They come out with a touch of smoke and super juicy. I also like to use 100% hickory or mesquite pellets

Last edited:
I’ve only done smash burgers on the Bull flat top. Preheat hot as it will get for at least 10 mins then throw them on for 3-4 mins/side. Very very delicious.

I did some simple hamburgers and they were like rubber
ive been smoking hamburgers for a long time now. you need at least a half pounder thick and plump or it will dry out fast. the thicker the better I do 200-225 for 1 hr no searing doesnt need it try using a smoke tube for extra punch. there was a store here sold smoked cheese burgers very addictive they found out it was too much work so started making smoked meatloaf then would sear the slices worked well

ive been smoking hamburgers for a long time now. you need at least a half pounder thick and plump or it will dry out fast. the thicker the better I do 200-225 for 1 hr no searing doesnt need it try using a smoke tube for extra punch. there was a store here sold smoked cheese burgers very addictive they found out it was too much work so started making smoked meatloaf then would sear the slices worked well
Sounds good, do you check temp?

Don't have a pellet cooker yet, but back when catering if people wanted burgers I'd fill up the vertical smoke chamber on the big stick burner (customized Oklahoma Joes from when Joe still owned the company) and smoke them about 180F for an hour, then finish them off next to the fire box with the internal baffle open at about 700F just before serving.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back