How to do Hamburgers

Hamburgers really aren't ideal for smokers but the best method is a low & slow for an hour and then remove them while you get the grill up to maximum temps for a quick cook/sear. You can also just skip that first portion (the smoke flavor it adds is minimal) and start at the higher setting for simplicity so it's more like using your smoker as you would a traditional BBQ grill. Ground beef is really not something you want took at a traditional 225 degrees for a longer period of time like you would whole-muscle meats.

Thank you.

I make my burger similar to a meatloaf. I add moisture to the meat because the fat will cook out. I usually add SPG, hoisin sauce, egg and bread crumbs. Let it incorporate for an hour the make into patties. 5min ea side @ 450 on the grill grates

I make my burger similar to a meatloaf. I add moisture to the meat because the fat will cook out. I usually add SPG, hoisin sauce, egg and bread crumbs. Let it incorporate for an hour the make into patties. 5min ea side @ 450 on the grill grates
Sounds great! I'll give it a try, thank you.

I mainly use my Blackstone or charcoal for burgers and when pinched for time, I'll crank them out on the gasser. However, I have made some fantastic burgers going low for about 30 minutes and then tossing them on my Blackstone for a couple minutes each side. It's the best of both worlds, nice and smokey, while getting a great char. A cast iron skillet will do just as good too.

I mainly use my Blackstone or charcoal for burgers and when pinched for time, I'll crank them out on the gasser. However, I have made some fantastic burgers going low for about 30 minutes and then tossing them on my Blackstone for a couple minutes each side. It's the best of both worlds, nice and smokey, while getting a great char. A cast iron skillet will do just as good too.
I have used my Camp Chef twice and I splashed grease everywhere. Weber kettle for me.

How did you cook it?

We have done a ton of burgers and a bunch of different ways (prep-wise) but I've always cooked mine at 500 using a set of GrillGrate and for about 4-5 minutes each side.

They come out perfect each time.
This is what I do - perfect every time - sometime I use charhickory pellets.

Ran some thru my bull last week @ 400 directly on the grates for 7 minutes or so per side. Used a little bit of Moore’s(lower sodium than Dales) and lawrys seasoning on premade 1/2 patties from Publix.

The nice thing about reverse searing them is that even when you have some lunatic that wants one cooked well done, it still comes out juicy and relatively edible.

Like several of comments, I do burgers & brats on my gas / cast iron grate. Great sear & done in about 10 minutes or so. Do the long & slow stuff on the 590. Pizza usually on either or both if I have a crowd.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Back