Bull High IT on the rec teq vids

Lilbullowner

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
  2. Matador
I've pretty much smoked meat for over 20 years on a wood smoker. I just got an RT-700 & pretty much all the rec tec vids for smoking pork & brisket say cook until internal temp reaches 200 or 203. I've never in my life smoked anything this hot, if I did I think it would be hard as a puck. The last 2 smokes I did was a pork butt & brisket. The pork vid had the rec teq "chef" say smoke until IT is at 160, wrap in foil & cook until 203. I cooked until it was 180 & pork was perfect pull off the bone shredded pork.....203 degrees? Come on.
I cooked a 8 lb brisket yesterday for new years. The "chef" said smoke until 160, wrap in foil & continue until IT is 200. I took it off at 170 & it was perfect. IT of 200, really?
I just don't understand the purpose of these vids for overcooking meat. Is it me or do you all enjoy cooking meat this high?

8) Continue cooking. When the pork butt hits an internal temperature of about 170°F, collagens, which are part of the connective tissues, begin to melt and turn to gelatin. The meat gets much more tender and juicy when this happens. Allow the pork butt to continue cooking past 170°F.

9) Finishing. When the internal temperature hits 203°F (a total of approximately 8 to 12 hours total cooking time) it's time to check if the pork butt is ready. The exterior should be dark brown. Some rubs and cookers will make the meat look black like a meteorite, but it is not burnt and it doesn't taste burnt. There may be glistening bits of melted fat. On a gas cooker, the meat may look shiny pink. If there is a bone, use a glove or paper towel to protect your fingers and wiggle the bone. If the bone turns easily and comes out of the meat, the collagens have melted and you are ready. If there is no bone, use the "stick a fork in it method." Insert a fork and try to rotate it 90 degrees. If it turns with very little pressure, you're ready. Keep in mind, these are animals not widgets and there can be variations depending on breed, diet, weight, your cooker design, and ev
Pork butt

When my pork butt was 180 IT, it was done - Fall off the bone done & 203 is wayy to hot. Somehow, you didn't answer my question. Tell me why 203 isnt too hot if 170 is considered well done for pork? I cooked mine 10 degrees over well done.

First, the RT videos aren't the only source of suggesting those temperatures. There are plenty of other websites and recipes that are consistent.

Second, it's not just about the doneness of the meat. Don't confuse the two. It's about breaking down the connective tissue (eg, collagen) and fats. Collagen begins to dissolve around 160F up to 180F. It's part of why folks use IT as a guide and also probe for tenderness.

For example, https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/pork-ribs-recipes/are-my-ribs-ready-yet

Maybe give it a try. You might find it doesn't make meat "hard as a puck" like you assume.

I’ve read a few books on BBQ, watched a ton of videos and searched a lot of websites and have never seen or read anything that would indicate brisket or butts would be done at 170. It’s pretty much unanimous that you need to be 195 or higher before you’ll get probe tender.

The only briskets I’ve done that were dry as a puck were pulled too early. I’ve overcooked a few as well but they were still juicy, they just wouldn’t hold a slice very well.

Maybe we have a different perspective of what “done” is.

I’ve read a few books on BBQ, watched a ton of videos and searched a lot of websites and have never seen or read anything that would indicate brisket or butts would be done at 170. It’s pretty much unanimous that you need to be 195 or higher before you’ll get probe tender.

The only briskets I’ve done that were dry as a puck were pulled too early. I’ve overcooked a few as well but they were still juicy, they just wouldn’t hold a slice very well.

Agree, these type of cooks need the higher temps to break the collagen down, other types of cooks tough means over cooked.

I did a full brisket on christmas eve and pulled it when it hit 205. It stalled at 180 and I rode it out without wrapping. I just spritzed it with a beer and apple cider vinegar mix every 30 minutes until it started climbing again. Once it broke the stall and hit 205 I let it ride a bit longer and it came out great. It started falling apart under its own weight.

The prime rib roast on the other hand all came off right at 140 and they were right at medium.

For me, half the fun has been finding what works for me.
I am too ADD to follow recipes/videos to a 'T' anyway; to me they are just suggestions.
Do what works for you and enjoy!

195 IT today for probe tender after nearly 13hrs on a pork butt @225. Super moist, easy to pull very tasty. No puck here.

Done to me is over 180. IT at 180 is perfectly fine from the experience I've had. I'll try the 200 & see how the meat is.

@Lilbullowner Here’s what I and others are talking about. I did a brisket today and took it off when it probed tender at 205. It’s fork tender and pulls apart with a slight tug. Give it a try and let us know what you think.
8440AACA-68A0-4147-B065-B141B6BE8898.jpeg

Quartz. When we put them in 15 years ago they were cheaper than granite, go figure.

I've found the 199-203° range is true and works great. Have you tried it yet and how did it turn out?

There's people that still swear smoke gets absorbed after 3-4 hours or that fat cap on top renders into meat.
There's studies that show these are not true but it won't change people's opinions. Do what works best for you but, I'd like to know your thoughts on a 203° instead of 180°. Goodluck !

I've pretty much smoked meat for over 20 years on a wood smoker. I just got an RT-700 & pretty much all the rec tec vids for smoking pork & brisket say cook until internal temp reaches 200 or 203. I've never in my life smoked anything this hot, if I did I think it would be hard as a puck. The last 2 smokes I did was a pork butt & brisket. The pork vid had the rec teq "chef" say smoke until IT is at 160, wrap in foil & cook until 203. I cooked until it was 180 & pork was perfect pull off the bone shredded pork.....203 degrees? Come on.
I cooked a 8 lb brisket yesterday for new years. The "chef" said smoke until 160, wrap in foil & continue until IT is 200. I took it off at 170 & it was perfect. IT of 200, really?
I just don't understand the purpose of these vids for overcooking meat. Is it me or do you all enjoy cooking meat this high?
It’s not just Rec teq that suggests these temps...

I've found the 199-203° range is true and works great. Have you tried it yet and how did it turn out?

There's people that still swear smoke gets absorbed after 3-4 hours or that fat cap on top renders into meat.
There's studies that show these are not true but it won't change people's opinions. Do what works best for you but, I'd like to know your thoughts on a 203° instead of 180°. Goodluck !
No, haven't tried it yet.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Srbbates
Back