GrillGrates Question

craigp

Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-1250
I just used a set of GG for the first time, on my RT-1250. I put the GG on the grill before starting. I smoked a couple of steaks at low temp to get some smoke in them, pulled em off and cranked the grill up to full. Once it hit full, I put the steaks on the GG. I was immediately disappointed, as I didn’t get the instant searing as seen in the videos. I left the steaks on the GG for an extended period and the steaks turned out fine, but without the char and color I was expecting.

In hindsight, I assume I should’ve waited longer for the GG to reach a higher temp. I re-read the instructions, and one tip the manufacturer recommends is using an infrared thermometer to check the GG temperature. Is this what you guys are doing?

Any tips would be appreciated!

I just used a set of GG for the first time, on my RT-1250. I put the GG on the grill before starting. I smoked a couple of steaks at low temp to get some smoke in them, pulled em off and cranked the grill up to full. Once it hit full, I put the steaks on the GG. I was immediately disappointed, as I didn’t get the instant searing as seen in the videos. I left the steaks on the GG for an extended period and the steaks turned out fine, but without the char and color I was expecting.

In hindsight, I assume I should’ve waited longer for the GG to reach a higher temp. I re-read the instructions, and one tip the manufacturer recommends is using an infrared thermometer to check the GG temperature. Is this what you guys are doing?

Any tips would be appreciated!
They need more time to get to sear temp, and yes I bought an IR gun just to check grate and griddle temps. The GG will get somewhere between 100-150° hotter than the ambient temp of the grill when fully heated m

Yup, an IR thermometer is a very handy tool to have in your bag of tricks.

Also make sure you follow the Grillgrate instructions for easily seasoning the grates. That whole onion trick worked well for me (along with a rub down with grapeseed oil before heating). I shortcutted on my first attempts and went back and followed directions and have had good luck going forward.

You may be correct in assuming you didn’t wait long enough. Although I have an infrared thermometer, it is not a necessity. It will also make a difference if you use the flat side of the GGs versus the channeled/slotted side. You can use your grill’s reading and assume the GG temp will be 60-100F above your setting (after it stabilizes). For the 1250 I would allow the full typical steak rest time of 20 minutes before I tried searing. This stabilization period will allow the GGs to absorb heat properly and hopefully give you that sear sound you seek. Another trick I use is to slather the protein with clarified butter (removing all the dairy extracts that have a lower flash point) and putting the steak on the GGs. Can you say sizzle, baby? When flipping, don’t use the same area of the GGs as they need to recover temperature after the initial transfer of energy from the first area that you placed steak. One last “pro tip” is to plan for success. If you are really trying to get the sear sound heard around the world, it may not work with the GGs. I supplement my reverse sear using a gasser (Lynx 36” with trident burners or my Lynx dedicated sear station), either of which can hit ~1100F with no problem. Considering the temp to time for the 1250, I think you should be able to hit 700F with no problem depending on your fuel type/pellets. My RT700 can achieve 650-675F at the GGs in about 20-25 minutes and based on what I hear about the 1250 and its auger motor, you should be higher, quicker. Good luck and I hope this helps.

This is why I don’t use Grill Grates. I use my companion gas grill for reverse searing. The added benefit is that it can be preheating while the steak is being smoked. My Napoleon natural gas 450RB will easily hit 600F in 10 minutes and works great for the final sear stage. YMMV

Thanks for the feedback and helpful tips!

One last question, how important is the placement of the grates? I initially had them on the right side of the grill, near the smokestack. I eventually moved them to the center, closer to the fire pot.

I also used an IR thermometer but lately I just wait 15 minutes after my grill gets to the set temp. No issues. I use mine to the right on both my recteq grills.

One last question, how important is the placement of the grates? I initially had them on the right side of the grill, near the smokestack. I eventually moved them to the center, closer to the fire pot.
The instructions for mine (2+ years ago) stated they go on the right side of the RT700 (smokestack side). I think it also said you remove the original right side grate but I rarely do that step. Perhaps someone can correct me it that has changed.

Right side or center side is fine, just don’t put them on the left side. The temp recorded by the RTD probe will be impacted.

I have grill grates but havent used them since I picked up a blackstone.

I use my weber gas grill or my flat top grill after smoking to get a sear. To me the grill grates are a waste of time and money. I have a set in my grill cabinet that I have not even taken the time to clean after I used them a couple of times and was disappointed.

I use GrillGrates in the Bullseye, I just flip them flat side up or flat side down depending on what I'm cooking.

I have a full set of GGs as replacement grates in my Weber gasser for quite a few years after seeing them on amazingribs, but I have not used that grill since getting the Bullseye back in May. I suppose I could use the Weber as a faux flat top. I'm considering selling it and getting the Pit Boss, like Greg's.

When I got the RT-590 two years ago, I did get and use the GGs on the RT-590 for higher temp cooks to get some grill marks but never had the patience to wait for those to heat up to do a reverse sear - had the Weber on standby for that. However, I retired that set of GGs when the Bullseye came on the scene. Now they just collect whatever things collect hanging out on the bottom shelf of the RT-590.

I use GrillGrates in the Bullseye, I just flip them flat side up or flat side down depending on what I'm cooking.

I have a full set of GGs as replacement grates in my Weber gasser for quite a few years after seeing them on amazingribs, but I have not used that grill since getting the Bullseye back in May. I suppose I could use the Weber as a faux flat top. I'm considering selling it and getting the Pit Boss, like Greg's.

When I got the RT-590 two years ago, I did get and use the GGs on the RT-590 for higher temp cooks to get some grill marks but never had the patience to wait for those to heat up to do a reverse sear - had the Weber on standby for that. However, I retired that set of GGs when the Bullseye came on the scene. Now they just collect whatever things collect hanging out on the bottom shelf of the RT-590.
I like to cook my steaks on the Grill Grates on my Bullseye @ 225°-250° until they reach 125° (for medium rare). Then I transfer them to a 12” cast iron skillet that has been preheating on a Weber Q grill. I final sear them in butter and some rosemary sprigs for 5 minutes on each side. They turn out wonderfully delicious.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Back