Purchasing Shorter GrillGrates for 1070

okie

Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-1070
Been using my old set of GG's 19.5" sitting on the regular grates. Work fine except the front and back ends cover the open space between drip pan and body of grill. I think they obstruct the flow where they sit. So I am ordering the 17.38" set of GG's, which will allow an inch of open space at each end without losing significant grilling surface. RT always warns not to let the drip pan foil obstruct flow, but make no comment on the same effect with GG's. Granted the GG's have perforations, but they are not sufficient to allow open flow at the ends. I don't think they will slide around when in use. Just maybe when cleaning with scraper. (no big deal)

That’s an interesting proposition. I don’t know if the advertising has changed since I purchased my Bull several years ago but RT once stated you can remove your original grate (on the right side specifically) and replace them with the GGs. Personally, I have done it both ways and couldn’t detect a big difference but I would be willing to bet I covered some of the predrilled holes which probably obstructed and hampered their performance. On the other hand, you may not want the drippings to traverse the rails and fall outside the drip pan. I will need to check my configuration but I think the final inches of my GGs on either side aren’t drilled to prevent spillage. Can someone else confirm? In any event, let us know how it works out for you.

The GrillGrates holes are cut along the entire length-I wouldn’t be surprised if they are laser or jet cut along long lengths of panels, and then cut to the desired length.

@okie, anyone with a table saw with a carbide blade (99.9% are) could make quick work of shortening your current set of grates. Or if you want to pay the round-trip postage, I’ll do it for you for free. I’ve operated on a couple of sets now.

One additional thing to keep in mind is that with a shortened grate, it’s likely there will be times that taking food off the grate will slide the grate back against the back wall of the grill.

That’s an interesting proposition. I don’t know if the advertising has changed since I purchased my Bull several years ago but RT once stated you can remove your original grate (on the right side specifically) and replace them with the GGs. Personally, I have done it both ways and couldn’t detect a big difference but I would be willing to bet I covered some of the predrilled holes which probably obstructed and hampered their performance. On the other hand, you may not want the drippings to traverse the rails and fall outside the drip pan. I will need to check my configuration but I think the final inches of my GGs on either side aren’t drilled to prevent spillage. Can someone else confirm? In any event, let us know how it works out for you.
Will do.

The GrillGrates holes are cut along the entire length-I wouldn’t be surprised if they are laser or jet cut along long lengths of panels, and then cut to the desired length.

@okie, anyone with a table saw with a carbide blade (99.9% are) could make quick work of shortening your current set of grates. Or if you want to pay the round-trip postage, I’ll do it for you for free. I’ve operated on a couple of sets now.

One additional thing to keep in mind is that with a shortened grate, it’s likely there will be times that taking food off the grate will slide the grate back against the back wall of the grill.
I thought of that but gave them away instead. Appreciate your kind offer. Aware of sliding possibility, but not a problem at the end of cooks. I usually use tongs or hooks. I may have an easy fix to prevent this if it becomes nec.

Received the new GG's. Picked up several important points by reading the brochure. "Duh!"
1. After a cook, do not turn up to high and try to burn off the remains at top heat and do not leave the grill alone at that time. The GG's can get up to 200* or more hotter than the control reads and can damage or warp the grates. Just do your shutdown process.
2.1. Do not clean grates immediately after a cook. When you start the next cook and they are warming up is best time to brush them off. Don't try to "like new" clean them. They will lose their seasoning. Clean between the rails when nec. to keep the debris from blocking the vent holes.
3. GG's can also overheat if you don't leave enough space on either side for heat under them to escape.(with my new shorter grates, that should not be a problem).

Will season them (onion as directed--also new to me) tomorrow then perhaps a burger cook. I don't expect to report unless a problem develops.

So you all are saying I've been doing it wrong? :rolleyes:

I just put the GG's on top of the existing grates. Works fine.

Will season them (onion as directed--also new to me) tomorrow then perhaps a burger cook. I don't expect to report unless a problem develops.
The onion trick is for real. If you follow Steven Raichlen or watched his TV shows, he always seasons his grates with an onion before the cook.

No, I’m saying what their manual says to do. We all have probably not done it their way. I am gonna at least try. BTW they do say to put GG’s on top of the pellet grills grates. Also, they were not talking about having space on front and back; it was on sides left and right (which is no problem for us but could be for someone who uses them to cover their whole grilling space. I e on a Weber Genesis when they use them to replace the old grates)
Sorry for the misguidance. I should have left that part out. Better yet, I will copy it and send.

Here 'tis:
IMG_1739.jpeg

Onion trick with added canola spray (since it was first cook) seemed to work well. Had a nice 500* burger cook, and perfect shutdown as well (see other thread about shutdown). As suggested, I did not burn off, or clean GG's after the cook. Just went thru the shutdown process. Will not clean off grates until next cook as suggested, but feels strange, as I am very OCD in nature.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back