Dressed to Kill
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
  2. Trailblazer
  3. Bullseye
  4. RT-680
I'm thinking about getting the GrillGrate for my pellet grill and wondering if picture perfect sear marks is a possibility?

Thanks for your time....

Chris

I'm thinking about getting the GrillGrate for my pellet grill and wondering if picture perfect sear marks is a possibility?

Thanks for your time....

Chris
This can happen but it takes some usage and lots of heat to figure out how get it perfect.

Last edited:
3675F9D1-3746-491B-9C69-0E5C3B10B23C.jpeg
I bought Grill Grates with my Bull and really like them. These chops were seared on the Grill Grates on my Weber because of time but I get the same results on the Bull if I wait for it to heat up.

View attachment 8572I bought Grill Grates with my Bull and really like them. These chops were seared on the Grill Grates on my Weber because of time but I get the same results on the Bull if I wait for it to heat up.
I bought the cast iron grate for my Weber for the sear. Trying to minimize to one grill at a time if possible.

I got them and much prefer using the flat side. Sure, it looks pretty with the diamond marks, but the real flavor comes from a flat sear. My Weber Summit gasser and Rt-590 use the same size grillgrates so since the Weber gets way hotter and much faster than the 590, I use them on the Weber. Reverse sear method, low and slow on the 590 for some smoke flavor, then sear on the Weber for a super hot sear at 700+. Otherwise you have to take them off the smoker, get it up to high temp, them put them back on.

I bought the cast iron grate for my Weber for the sear. Trying to minimize to one grill at a time if possible.
I get that. I use them on my 700 as well if I have time to let the temps get up high enough. Weber or Rec Teq they come out the same.

I've been very pleased with my grillgrates. When I cook steaks on the RT-700 I always use my grillgrates, typically flat side up however on several occasions I've used the ribbed side up and they leave beautiful lines!

I grill/smoke my ribeyes on my RT-700 at 275 degrees until they get to about 115 degrees. Then, I throw them on my Weber 3000 (small gas grill) that I have my Grill Grates on. I heat the grill to about 400 degrees (that's what the gauge says) and the grill grates are 100 or more degrees hotter than that. (I'll update this info when I get my infrared temp gauge.) I sear the steaks for 2 minutes, turn 45 degrees and cook 2 more minutes. I then flip them over and do 2 minutes, turn 45 degrees, and cook 2 more minutes. They get great grill marks and cook to a nice medium. Thickness of the steaks may need a different amount of time on the grill...and depending on your degree of doneness. ...and I have no problem having both grills out. It usually draws a couple of neighbors out to smell them cooking...and we have a couple of beers and shoot The Bull.

I have to agree with the flat side use.. I did purchase mine for the Bull and it did fine with temps and sear but it takes a while to get there so I pretty much use them on the Weber gasser right on the original grate. This way I can get that heating up while I do the cook on the Bull and it is just minutes at the end. I like them and use them every time I cook a steak or chop and even chicken on the grate side. They stay on the Weber now.

Can't beat the flavoring of the sear and looks. I feel they are worth it. You could probably get away with a cast iron skillet if you are just looking for the true sear and not just looks. Probably better honestly and I might have gone that route knowing what I do now. There was some attraction to getting the grates and I'm not disappointed with my purchase. Just another tool for the job.

Just my 2¢....I've had mine for 6 months and I've used them one time.
To me, they are not worth the effort. Let's eat!
Same here. Too slow to heat, its a B-word taking the greasy things on/off the grill, ect. I am confident in the evidence others present that they work well once you figure out your process, but for me the pain in the ass factor make it almost pointless. My griddle or cast iron skillet are always a few minutes from being ready to sear if needed.

Thank you all for the kind responses.

Yes, I did read the previous posts but opinions change over time.

Last edited:
I’ve been using my original set of GrillGrates for 14 years now, and hands down I think they are my #1 accessory for grilling. That’s especially true if you are wanting ripping hot surface temps on say a Bull. They will get 100*-150* hotter than the ambient temp of the grill.

For anyone wondering, the metal parts are not heated from the ambient temp inside the grill, so yes, it is possible that aluminum grates get hotter than stainless steel grates.

I grill/smoke my ribeyes on my RT-700 at 275 degrees until they get to about 115 degrees. Then, I throw them on my Weber 3000 (small gas grill) that I have my Grill Grates on. I heat the grill to about 400 degrees (that's what the gauge says) and the grill grates are 100 or more degrees hotter than that. (I'll update this info when I get my infrared temp gauge.) I sear the steaks for 2 minutes, turn 45 degrees and cook 2 more minutes. I then flip them over and do 2 minutes, turn 45 degrees, and cook 2 more minutes. They get great grill marks and cook to a nice medium. Thickness of the steaks may need a different amount of time on the grill...and depending on your degree of doneness. ...and I have no problem having both grills out. It usually draws a couple of neighbors out to smell them cooking...and we have a couple of beers and shoot The Bull.
I'm sorry you had to shoot the Bull, I'm sure it was a great grill :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Not worth it for searing. I reverse sear everything on my normal gas grill after I smoke meats on my Rec Tec 700. Quicker and works great.
Yeah, kind of what I heard.
I was pretty much told if I need to sear use the Bullseye. Now i have an excuse to keep it.

I bought a set for my gas grill with the intention of moving the grates to my 340 when needed. I have never moved them to the pellet smoker. They work so well on the gas grill that I do not see the point in trying to use them on the smoker. When I want to sear something that has been cooked on the smoker, I fire up the gas grill on high for a few minutes and sear on the gas grill.

I typically pull whatever I plan to sear off the smoker about 5 degrees below the desired finish temp. It will quickly come up to temp during the searing process.

The ribbed side gives the great grill marks but as others have said, the flat side should not be ignored. I use the flat site to put a crust on meat that has been cooked using a Sous Vide device. This is much easier and less messy than pan searing.

One last thing about the Grill Grates. I recently learned that you can add a little smoke flavor to meat that you cook on these grates by dropping some pellets in the channels while grilling. You do not even have to use pellets. Small dry twigs work just a well. I tried this last night when grilling some burgers. I found some alder twigs, broke them into small pieces and sprinkled them in the GG channels. The burgers turned out great.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back