Grillgrate Question

mikeporter616

It's not my fault!
Premium Member
Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
  2. Bullseye
I grilled some chicken breasts and thighs on my38 with grillgrates at 425. The breast took ~2 minutes and the thighs ~ 30 minutes. Meat was good, but very little browning. Breast 165 and thighs 180. Do I need to go hotter? Thanks.

I grilled some chicken breasts and thighs on my38 with grillgrates at 425. The breast took ~2 minutes and the thighs ~ 30 minutes. Meat was good, but very little browning. Breast 165 and thighs 180. Do I need to go hotter? Thanks.
For how long did you let the grates heat up at 425 before putting chicken on it? You have to let it sit for 15-20 minutes so that it heats up for searing.

For how long did you let the grates heat up at 425 before putting chicken on it? You have to let it sit for 15-20 minutes so that it heats up for searing.
Thanks, but I did let it heat for ~15 minutes at 425.

I did the same yesterday. Wasn't sure what starting temp to use since Grill Grates supposedly run up to 100 deg hotter than the pit temp. I started at 375 but bumped it up to 425 (same as you) after about 15 min. Took about 30 min for breasts and 40 for thighs to finish a little higher. Wouldn't think you'd need to use much higher temps. (pic taken about halfway thru cook)

E86AC740-BDD5-48F7-A65E-F1E78A9846B0.jpeg

I have a bullseye and bought my Grille Gates direct from RecTeq

I use the flat side of the grill grates 99% of the time. Sure those grate marks are sexy on the meet but if you want browning and a quicker cook, the flat side is the way to go. Nothing like that 100% contact on those hot grates...great crust on chicken thighs and much easier to clean IMO.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back