Bull Free cold smoker is standard on the rt 700!

Fortunately, one of the problems I have avoided with my RT-340 is burn back and the associated flash fire. My theory is that using LavaLock seals on both the cooking chamber and pellet hopper lids slows, or stops, enough air flow into those chambers to prevent the problem. YMMV

I do reduce the heat to 250F or less before turning the grill off and I’m sure that also helps.

Lots of great info already, I'll just add my 2 cents. You mentioned the controller change I'd investigate the auger settings minimum feed rate and think there's a setting you can change from the app. I started playing with minimum feed rate(accessible on the controller) on my bfg, it was at like 10 I changed it up to like 55 65 to see if I got more smoke at low temperature, it did but also would not shut down properly. I shut mine down after cook and went out hours later to put it away and had very similar look to your original post

You mentioned the controller change I'd investigate the auger settings minimum feed rate and think there's a setting you can change from the app. I started playing with minimum feed rate(accessible on the controller) on my bfg, it was at like 10 I changed it up to like 55 65 to see if I got more smoke at low temperature, it did but also would not shut down properly. I shut mine down after cook and went out hours later to put it away and had very similar look to your original post
The minimum feed rate will not change the amount of smoke you will get at a given temperature setting. When the feed rate is set to low you will get flame outs since you are not feeding enough pellets when the controller turns the auger on to keep the fire going. When you set the feed rate higher like 55/65 (when the grills normal feed rate is 10, like the 1250) you will not be able to maintain a lower temperature like 180 or 200 since you are feeding too many pellets each time the controller turns the auger on to add pellets to maintain the set temperature. In that case you may find the lowest temperature you can get the grill to maintain might be 225 or 250 or even higher depending on the grill.

The lower the temperature the smoker is running at will produce more smoke, the higher the temperature it is running at will reduce the amount of smoke you get.

I have noticed that my most consistent and quickest/cleanest start ups all occur at low temp setting initially. I have now been setting to 230/235 for start up temp over anything higher, and that means less pellets are being loaded into the pot continuously in order to hit a higher start up temp. Same goes for shut down, I have had zero issues of any kind after setting temp to 230/235 and turning off once the temp stabilizes. Some will say this is ridiculous in order to avoid issues, but it is what it is and I am fine with it. :)

I have noticed that my most consistent and quickest/cleanest start ups all occur at low temp setting initially. I have now been setting to 230/235 for start up temp over anything higher, and that means less pellets are being loaded into the pot continuously in order to hit a higher start up temp. Same goes for shut down, I have had zero issues of any kind after setting temp to 230/235 and turning off once the temp stabilizes. Some will say this is ridiculous in order to avoid issues, but it is what it is and I am fine with it. :)
This is precisely why you should "spritz" the pellets before shutting down.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back