Found Beef Ribs but they may be the wrong ones!

BethV

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
  2. Bullseye
I have been hunting around for Beef Plate Ribs and thought I found them at Restaurant Depot. However, now that I look at the label, it says Beef Chuck Short Ribs - 4 bone. They are packaged in a two pack. I questioned the decision to buy them but figured they looked like the ribs in the zillions of videos I have watched. Can these be cooked like the plate ribs? Will they taste anything like them? And if not, is there a suggested use for them? These are about 7.5 inches long.

Here I thought I finally found them!

Thanks for any help or suggestions!
Beth

Bummer, those were the ones we kept showing you! It's our fault!
I think they are meant to be braised but low and slow will fix anything. Also-
Do you have a sous vide machine! If so look up Sous Vide Que.

I have a sous Vide but was really hoping to smoke them. Knowing me, I will probably figure out a way to do this on the smoker, low and slow. An experiment! Have you ever heard of Simpson's Meats out of Tennessee? They have choice beef plate ribs for $99. I did find them for $199 elsewhere, but that just seems crazy for 1 plate.

I believe the plate ribs are short rib. I know you say they are about 7 inches long. Do they have a good portion of meat on the tops of the bones, or is all the meat between the bones? If there is a good portion of meat on the top of the bones, I think you got what you were looking for.
I would cook and rub similar to how I would cook a brisket.

I took another look at them and the meat is primarily on top. A minimal amount between ribs. But there are 4 ribs and they range from 7-8.5" each. Definitely a splotched fat cap on top. On one side of the ribs there is a lot of meat. The other side has less meat.

Hey BethV,

I haven't had these ribs, but Simpson's Meats is around my neck of the woods outside of Knoxville and at least locally, they are very reputable for their meats. I would think their distribution and online selections are just as good.

Cheers

I bought the same thing. Thought they were plate ribs but now I'm second guessing too. I've seen 123A plate ribs described a few different ways including "short ribs" and "plate short ribs". Perhaps someone can shed some light on this.

Now I've cooked short ribs before on the smoker. Cooked them like other beef ribs. Also smoked to start then moved to braise for finish. Tasty either way.

Well, it's nice to know I've got company in the rib department. :) I cook short ribs (the little guys) and it's a two day process but worth every minute (stovetop and oven).

I'm going to try these on the grill. I'm also tempted not to wrap them and let them form a nice bark. And I'm going to order the plate ribs online since I can't get them here yet. There is some level of ease knowing if I screw these up, it's not such a big loss if you know what I mean.

For regular short ribs, I keep it simple with my SPOG+ rub over some mustard as binder. Then smoke them low & slow until they're probe tender - usually 195°F or higher. It's surprising how long even little piece takes to cook, but you can help them along with a foil pan + liquid + foil cover to braise.

Figure I'll cook the plank I have of these the same way. I'm tempted to separate the ribs for more bark, but that also means more surface area for moisture loss.

Cook those bad boys and let us know how they came out. Sounds like you did get what you were looking for, just labeled differently. I am sure they are going to make an outstanding beef rib cook.

I have been hunting around for Beef Plate Ribs and thought I found them at Restaurant Depot. However, now that I look at the label, it says Beef Chuck Short Ribs - 4 bone. They are packaged in a two pack. I questioned the decision to buy them but figured they looked like the ribs in the zillions of videos I have watched. Can these be cooked like the plate ribs? Will they taste anything like them? And if not, is there a suggested use for them? These are about 7.5 inches long.

Here I thought I finally found them!

Thanks for any help or suggestions!
Beth
Beth - two items. I do a fair amount of sous vide. You can sous vide them to 135 and then onto the smoker on Low. Monitor the internal temp. Other choose is to go with dealt and pepper and the. Smoke low for an Hour and the temp up to 250 Monitor internal temp til done. Both ways will make a great final product.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
I smell smoke
Back