Anybody have a slick way to manage the Teflon Drip Tray shields?

MikeK, I have used Easy Off Pro before but then it adds a "rinse" requirement before my grates and drip trays are food safe again.

Dano, I will have to try it and see if the BFG drip pans will fit into the bag.

Thanks to all who make this forum great.
v/r r

I have started saving the plastic bags from the pellets I buy. They work great for me when I scrape my drip tray from my 590. They are heavy enough and big enough to fit the entire drop tray in to scrape it off. Once finished scraping I just fold or roll up the bag and put it under my 590 and use again.
Great tip/hack.

I have a new BFG and saw the RT Teflon Drip Tray shields. WOW, I thought this was worth a try.

My first cook I decided to do 30 pounds of chicken leg quarters (10 pound bags for < $6 at Walmart is within my "burn and learn" budget). I spread the cook over every corner, then mid back and front on every level. Proved the the BFG heat distribution and temp management. No hot spots at 325 and 30 pounds of chicken came in stayed with 10 degrees of each other for the entire cook. Very good chicken too. Thin skin with a nice bite.

Great grease management. I love the twin drip trays in the "high V" configuration. The cast iron deflector along with the angled drip trays prevented undue effects of direct heat from the trays. The Teflon shields worked perfectly. Drip trays were spotless. If I had the income to just "discard" the used ones after each cook and go with a new set. They work that well.

I decided to take the Teflon shields folded over and use my wife's laundry sink to clean them with hot soapy water. Bad choice. Heavy smoke and burnt grease aroma filled the air and I ended up spending 30 minutes cleaning out her laundry sink before she declared it was usable for laundry presoaks and other assorted wife cleaning secret stuff.

I hate to just throw them out on the lawn and hit them with a high pressure garden hose. The dog goes straight for the cleaned bits and then tracks the oily black residue back onto the kitchen floors or worse, a couch.

Is anybody using these, or should I just go to the foil and forget it. Note: I have been through the no foil scrape the tray routine and prefer the foil on my other pellet grills. I was just looking for easy.

Anybody found a good way to manage the cleanup of the Teflon sheilds?

Thanks in advance.
v/r r
I take the pan with the teflon shield out, hold it over a trash bag and using a plastic sand shovel, just slide the gunk off. easy-peasy

I take the pan with the teflon shield out, hold it over a trash bag and using a plastic sand shovel, just slide the gunk off. easy-peasy
1702940541857.gif

Pacman, I bought one roll and then went back and ordered 10 more. I have been whining for at least the last 6 months that my wide heavy duty Reynolds Wrap was no longer heavy duty.

By the way, I am sticking to that statement. It is NOT the same as what I was getting a year ago. Almost anything will puncture the current generation by Reynolds.

I have a micrometer. I might actually go mike my current generation Heavy Duty foil.

I can tell you the latest "pitmaster" version is much thicker and it is far more resistant to tearing or puncture. Is it worth what we will have to pay. My opinion is that it's up to each of us to find our own pain point.

I did use this on the last (my first) big brisket cook on the BFG. I think it will be worth the squeeze (maybe). I used a single layer of the new pitmaster instead of a double layer of the current Heavy Duty.

Time will tell.

v/r r
I got a roll of this and its legit! Its what heavy duty used to be lol. Amazon does have… appreciate the insight from both of y’all.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back