Bull First Whole Brisket

ScottR18

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I finally got up the nerve to try smoking my first brisket not just on the Bull but ever. It was a 15lb choice whole brisket on sale at Kroger for $2.99 lb.

I trimmed about 1 - 2 lbs of fat off of it and then seasoned with with equal parts of Kosher salt and course pepper. I used CookinPellets 100% Hickory and started the smoke at 200 deg and put it on fat cap down at 11pm and went to bed.

Checked it in the morning at 7am and it was at 135 deg. I increased the temperature to 250 let it go another three hours. It was then at 160 so I took it off and wrapped it in butchers paper and put t back on with two temp probes in the point and flat. The point hit 202 around 3pm but the flat was at 208. Took it off and wrapped it in a towel and stuck it in a cooler until 4:30.

The point was perfect but the flat was a little dry but for my first time I was pleased. If I was to splurge on a Prime cut from Costo I think the flat would have been juicier.

1592746398153.png

1592746431906.png
1592746456502.png

Great first attempt! I find Brisket to be a little more finicky than other cuts. I think the difference from super juicy and a little dry can happen in just a short amount of time. And when you cook something for that long, that short amount of time is quite easy to forget. That is why we have bbq sauces at home. LOL.

I think this is a great first attempt (by pictures) and makes me want to go out and pick one up today for this week!!!

Yeah I agree that is one finicky piece of meat. I read there is a huge difference between 202 and 205 deg.... when it comes to the flat.

Yeah bbq sauce covers the dryness...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back