Overnight Whole Brisket Cook

Dwight Smokem

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
  2. Bullseye
Trimmed from 17 down to 13.5, injected with Meatchurch Holy Cow Brisket injection and rubbed with Holy Cow (its heavy black pepper but that's how I like beef rub.). On at midnight EST, unwrapped for 7 hours, currently almost at pull temp.

7F5DB918-FBAB-413D-B320-9C5D59B3BC23.jpeg

D3BF90C4-F796-4D30-8ADD-64792E211427.jpeg

4FB99881-FD7F-493E-927D-4FC71E2F7C9D.jpeg

Last edited:
That midnight start seems to be a good time. I did my last one starting around that time. Just put it on and went to bed running 225F. 6 hours later it looked good, so I wrapped. I don't know what the internal temperature was, but the bark looked good. Cranked it to 275F at the wrap. It took about 3 more hours to finish to probe tender, then it went in a Cambro to hold for 5 hours.

That midnight start seems to be a good time. I did my last one starting around that time. Just put it on and went to bed running 225F. 6 hours later it looked good, so I wrapped. I don't know what the internal temperature was, but the bark looked good. Cranked it to 275F at the wrap. It took about 3 more hours to finish to probe tender, then it went in a Cambro to hold for 5 hours.
Pretty similar. Except I prolonged it and didn't crank temp, left at 225. I wrapped at 6.5 hr mark, it was probe tender and 203 by about 12:30, so 12.5hr cook and 2 hour rest. Biggest notes to learn here was I may have "overinjected" it. The point contained a noticeable taste difference and I could tell it tasted like the injection smelled, almost like a roast taste with au jus. Also, not sure what I could do to change it bc I trimmed a lot, but on inner most portions of point, there was some significant fat that didn't render.

Pretty similar. Except I prolonged it and didn't crank temp, left at 225. I wrapped at 6.5 hr mark, it was probe tender and 203 by about 12:30, so 12.5hr cook and 2 hour rest. Biggest notes to learn here was I may have "overinjected" it. The point contained a noticeable taste difference and I could tell it tasted like the injection smelled, almost like a roast taste with au jus. Also, not sure what I could do to change it bc I trimmed a lot, but on inner most portions of point, there was some significant fat that didn't render.
Yeah, that fat between the point and flat never renders completely on mine. My last prime packer had a large amount of fat in there. But it was one of the most moist briskets I've done. I'll take it.

How was the Meat Church injection?
It was great, good black pepper with the holy cow. I use that and the Butchers BBQ regular. Butchers makes a prime too and it's great but it definitely is a stronger flavor profile and changes natural taste of the brisket more.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back