Reheating whole brisket

Dougfresh

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Hope this isn’t sacrilegious but anyone ever partially cook a brisket and put in the fridge to finish the next day? Or fully cook it and put it in the fridge whole after it rests?

I want to do an Eater brisket but I’d rather not spend the better part of Saturday or Sunday cooking. Would be much easier to cook it Friday while I’m working and reheat on Sunday. Any tips on reheating a whole brisket?

i reheated one last week and it came out as good as coming right off the smoker. It never went in the fridge, but it was finished early.

If you are wrapping, save the juices that accumulate in the butcher paper or foil. Put the brisket in a roasting pan, add the juices to the pan, and cover with foil. If you aren't wrapping, im guessing beef broth may be a good substitute. Bake at 325-350. Take out once brisket hits 140 or so. Should be delicious.

I wouldn't do it that way because it increases the potential window of time for bad bacteria to form. Finish it in advance if you wish but vacuum seal portions. You can then sous vide or just boil to "re-heat" when you wish to eat it. It will be nearly indistinguishable to most from fresh off of the smoker. As a bonus tip, you can also freeze these smaller portions to thaw/boil/sous vide at a later date. Same goes for pulled pork and other smoked meats as most will freeze/reheat in an acceptable manner.

That said, I prefer fresh. If you start it Saturday night on the smoker you can get a good 3-4 hour smoke in before going to bed. This is the time in which it will take on most all of the smoke flavor anyway. After that, simply pull it and foil it and then either put it back in the smoker or bring it inside to finish in the oven. The result will be the same as if you left it in the smoker the whole time and it's a LOT easier to get up and go to the kitchen in the middle of the night versus going outside if it hits the desired temp early.

Then have a cooler waiting with a large bath towel in it and set an alarm to go off when it hits the desired temperature. Once it hits temp, pull it, wrap it in the towel and place it in the cooler to hold temp and rest it for hours if need be. I do this pretty regularly and it works quite well. The oven method is just easier should it wake you up by hitting temp early in the morning so you can go back to bed once you pull it.

I think I’ll try to avoid reheating whole. Sounds like starting Saturday night is the way to go. Then I’ll just rest in the cooler until dinner. I am going to have to try the sous vide on the remaining chunks though. Sounds a lot better than the oven or dare i say...microwave.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back