First smoke on the Bull

Eleuthros1

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Just got this Bull last week. After the initial burn in I made some chicken thighs and tater tots. All were GREAT!

So for my first smoke I'm breaking it in with some ribs this afternoon. I'm doing one baby back and one St Louis. I put some olive oil and screaming pig rub and got it going at 235. They've been on for about 40 minutes and I'm debating on doing the 321 method or just letting them ride until they probe right.
20200606_123144.jpg

Just got this Bull last week. After the initial burn in I made some chicken thighs and tater tots. All were GREAT!

So for my first smoke I'm breaking it in with some ribs this afternoon. I'm doing one baby back and one St Louis. I put some olive oil and screaming pig rub and got it going at 235. They've been on for about 40 minutes and I'm debating on doing the 321 method or just letting them ride until they probe right.View attachment 4604
This was also the first smoke on our Bull too, they came out great.

My vote is to let them ride until done, you may be pleasantly surprised by the results and never bother with the hassle of the 3-2-1 method again! Or, not either way you won't know unless you're willing to try something different!

I'm all about trying new things. My family like ribs fall off the bone tender. I personally prefer some pull in the bite, but I don't mind the way they like them so that's how I usually make them. Is the wrap phase of the 321 method what makes them so tender? Or will they get like that uncovered too?

Are you spraying them with anything through the cook?

Can't speak for the wrapping being more tender, because it's been years since I've wrapped ribs. I like the bite and pull, not overly soft, fork tender and somewhat mushy ribs. But, to each their own! So, I'll let the folks with way more experience wrapping ribs answer that one for you. I spritz ribs myself to give them a little moisture (most of the time, every 45-60 mins or so). I will give you a word of caution though about spritzing anything in your Bull, some members here have ran into problems with the cold spray hitting the light lens in the middle and shattering it and or breaking it. One member in particular had his lens shatter glass shards on his Brisket..............what a nightmare! So, try to use a piece of foil or another method to keep the spray off the light.

Can't speak for the wrapping being more tender, because it's been years since I've wrapped ribs. I like the bite and pull, not overly soft, fork tender and somewhat mushy ribs. But, to each their own! So, I'll let the folks with way more experience wrapping ribs answer that one for you. I spritz ribs myself to give them a little moisture (most of the time, every 45-60 mins or so). I will give you a word of caution though about spritzing anything in your Bull, some members here have ran into problems with the cold spray hitting the light lens in the middle and shattering it and or breaking it. One member in particular had his lens shatter glass shards on his Brisket..............what a nightmare! So, try to use a piece of foil or another method to keep the spray off the light.
Yea this is one place I use foil on my Bull at times the light.

I just put a piece of aluminum foil between the ribs and the light and sprayed. All good. Great advice!

I decided to wrap them because I know what that gets me on the BGE. Since the grill is new to me I'll let the grill be the only change this time. They're looking great so far. No pics of the wrap, I was running around between the Tri tip and getting these ribs sauced and wrapped.

I decided to wrap them because I know what that gets me on the BGE. Since the grill is new to me I'll let the grill be the only change this time. They're looking great so far. No pics of the wrap, I was running around between the Tri tip and getting these ribs sauced and wrapped.
Wise idea to stick with what you know and are comfortable with.......I'm sure they'll be pretty tasty alright! ?

And here we go, just pulled them off the grill. They look pretty good! I'll be back with the final verdict. Good times!

Attachments

• 20200606_180337.jpg
    20200606_180337.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 71
Good smoke ring. Not fall off the bone so I thought they were very good. I like that screaming pig rub alot!

Attachments

• 20200606_181720.jpg
    20200606_181720.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 70
  • 20200606_185507.jpg
    20200606_185507.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 69
The ribs look great. I used to be a 3-2-1 guy but found the ribs were to soft for my liking. I dont foil but do spray with a mix of bone broth and some of the dissolved rub i am using. Keeps them moist but still have a bite off the bone feel at the end. ??

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back