Bull New Bull Owner - Normal amount and color of smoke @ 225?

I notice a lot of smoke one of my cooks, i stopped and went inside the smoker. There was too much pellet in the fire pot. maybe that's what it is???

I cleaned the pot before starting. I have only done the burn-in and some wings. It didn't look too bad at that time. Just does not look like "thin blue" smoke to me. I always read how pellet grills don't impart as much smoke (I know debatable - not going there) - so I assumed less out the tail-pipe too. I'm in a townhouse so I was hoping it would be lighter. I know if I crank the temp up it should be less but don't really want to. Temp seems fairly stable. The pellets seemed very dusty to me, but it is my first bag so I don't have any comp. Do you guys typically screen your pellets to remove dust/small pieces?

I cleaned the pot before starting. I have only done the burn-in and some wings. It didn't look too bad at that time. Just does not look like "thin blue" smoke to me. I always read how pellet grills don't impart as much smoke (I know debatable - not going there) - so I assumed less out the tail-pipe too. I'm in a townhouse so I was hoping it would be lighter. I know if I crank the temp up it should be less but don't really want to. Temp seems fairly stable. The pellets seemed very dusty to me, but it is my first bag so I don't have any comp. Do you guys typically screen your pellets to remove dust/small pieces?
I don't screen the pellets I just dump the pellets out of the bags into the hopper, the dust will burn too.

I use lumber jack pellets, I mix pecan with cherry so what i do i dump the pellets in an ice chest, mix and then put in the hopper leaving any dust behind... i'm not sure if that makes a difference but that's what i usually do to have both pellets mixed evenly.

Smoke looks about normal to me. I primarily use the Rectec pellets. I get a fair amount of smoke when I'm in the lower temp ranges (225).

Looks fine, pellets will never give you as clean a burn as charcoal or wood simply from the fact there are always fresh pellets being burnt and what is ignited at the bottom isnt hot enough to clean up the smoke before it gets away and cools to the color you see.

I notice a lot of smoke one of my cooks, i stopped and went inside the smoker. There was too much pellet in the fire pot. maybe that's what it is???
That looks right for 225. It’s not a clean thin blue smoke but it is a blue hued smoke. The billowing white or almost grey smoke when first lit is the bad stuff you want to avoid. That only lasts till it’s been burning for a few minutes on a pellet grill. I usually wait till my 700 has been up to temp for 5 or 10 minutes before adding food.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back