Bull Help! My rectec bull up in smoke

El diablo de humo

Hey y’all. Brand new to smoking and proud owner of a new RT-700. I’ve got 4 cooks on the grill so far and they’ve been great.
Big problem today though. I’ve got 8 beef short ribs on and at about three hours (225) I opened her up to spritz for the first time (apple cider). Temp dropped 70 degrees then spiked up. About 15 minutes after, I looked out the window and dense yellow smoke shooting out of everywhere. Temp spiked up 80 degrees. I went and opened it up, large plume for about ten seconds then a big “POOF”. Smoke immediately cleared back to clear blue smoke. Temp stayed high for about ten mins then evened out. Kinda frustrating. Small problem is the ribs are kinda shot. Big problem is I have a 1400 brand new machine that’s not working. Ideas?

Happened to me once when I ran out of pellets mid cook. Now I check for pellets and it hasn’t happened since.

couple of reasons I can think of quickly.. Ran out of pellets or the hopper had a bridge of pellets both cause the same issue
plus would check the firepot for a buildup of ash. suck up the ash with a vac . I have cheap dust buster just for this purpose

Mine has done that twice. Once when I ran out of pellets and once for an unknown reason.

Big problem is I have a 1400 brand new machine that’s not working. Ideas?
I had a similar with my 590. I had just moved and my shop vac is still at the old house.
I tried to clean out the ash from the fire pot by hand and it worked ok. Three cooks later (last night) I turned on grill to low for some extra smoke. 10 min later: NO START. I had to crank temp way up to get ignition. (Feed rate 6.5)
Shoulda pulled it all apart for cleaning but needed to start the cook.
Now the grill is going but when I back the temp down, guess what? Flame out.
Guessing that the fire pot is half full of ash.
Pit Boss pellets probably aren't the best.
Gotta get my shop vac and my Lumber Jack pellets

Last edited:
I had a similar with my 590. I had just moved and my shop vac is still at the old house.
I tried to clean out the ash from the fire pot by hand and it worked ok. Three cooks later (last night) I turned on grill to low for some extra smoke. 10 min later: NO START. I had to crank temp way up to get ignition. (Feed rate 6.5)
Shoulda pulled it all apart for cleaning but needed to start the cook.
Now the grill is going but when I back the temp down, guess what? Flame out.
Guessing that the fire pot is half full of ash.
Pit Boss pellets probably aren't the best.
Gotta get my shop vac and my Lumber Jack pellets

Hey y’all. Brand new to smoking and proud owner of a new RT-700. I’ve got 4 cooks on the grill so far and they’ve been great.
Big problem today though. I’ve got 8 beef short ribs on and at about three hours (225) I opened her up to spritz for the first time (apple cider). Temp dropped 70 degrees then spiked up. About 15 minutes after, I looked out the window and dense yellow smoke shooting out of everywhere. Temp spiked up 80 degrees. I went and opened it up, large plume for about ten seconds then a big “POOF”. Smoke immediately cleared back to clear blue smoke. Temp stayed high for about ten mins then evened out. Kinda frustrating. Small problem is the ribs are kinda shot. Big problem is I have a 1400 brand new machine that’s not working. Ideas?
Just asking, Did you happen to shut the grill off when you saw the temp spike? If so when it restarted it would prime the pot with a large amount of pellets causing a smoke storm when relighting.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WKMCD
Back