Bull First Overnight brisket

BBQMike700

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Overnight smoke with 20mph winds all night the 700 stood to impress. 17.5 hour with mesquite pellets. Still not as smoke flavored as my WSM??

Attachments

• 2F15337A-817F-4E6F-9395-23645A531A39.jpeg
    2F15337A-817F-4E6F-9395-23645A531A39.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 171
  • 858914C3-F3A1-4F70-95C0-501B74843F1B.jpeg
    858914C3-F3A1-4F70-95C0-501B74843F1B.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 108
Looks pretty darn good to me. What temp did you cook at? Coming from a stick burner over to pellet land, the one thing I did notice was the lack of smokiness. I understand this is more of a pellet issue than anything else. Others have gone down the smoke tube route and I may do that one day.

I consider it a trade off between versatility of the pellet smoker over the continual hands on of a stick burner. You may want to go the smoke tube route, if that's what you like. You can also play around with different pellet types and see what you like. The RT blend, that comes with these is pretty good and provides a decent flavor. I have found that Lumber Jack and Cooking Pellets seem to be a bit more smokier. You might want to give those a try.

Either way, it is nice being able to plop some meat onto the smoker and hit the sack, then wake up to see that the unit has been running as expected without any hiccups in pit temp.

Looks pretty darn good to me. What temp did you cook at? Coming from a stick burner over to pellet land, the one thing I did notice was the lack of smokiness. I understand this is more of a pellet issue than anything else. Others have gone down the smoke tube route and I may do that one day.

I consider it a trade off between versatility of the pellet smoker over the continual hands on of a stick burner. You may want to go the smoke tube route, if that's what you like. You can also play around with different pellet types and see what you like. The RT blend, that comes with these is pretty good and provides a decent flavor. I have found that Lumber Jack and Cooking Pellets seem to be a bit more smokier. You might want to give those a try.

Either way, it is nice being able to plop some meat onto the smoker and hit the sack, then wake up to see that the unit has been running as expected without any hiccups in pit temp.

Smoked it at 225 using Bear Mountain pellets. Thanks for the pointers I cant wait to try other pellets and may try the smoke tube. This thing is super impressive and the versatility is great. Just need to play around with it to get a bit more smoke.

Looking good. Coming from a WSM I know what you mean about the lack of smoke flavor. I'm taking it as just being the way pellets are, for me the convenience on overnight cooks makes up for it. Doesn't take long to get spoiled.

Don't forget, there's the LO Temp/ HIGH Smoke setting to use as well. I also don't preheat the pit. Once the grate is clean, I put the meat on during the warmup. I have never noticed any soot, or ash on my food. I just look at this time period as being extra smoke. These things don't take all that long to warm up anyway....

Looking good. Coming from a WSM I know what you mean about the lack of smoke flavor. I'm taking it as just being the way pellets are, for me the convenience on overnight cooks makes up for it. Doesn't take long to get spoiled.
For sure. I like the smoke tube idea especially one that could use wood chips. Still great flavor just was expecting a little more smokiness using mesquite over an almost 18 hour smoke. That being said doing that brisket on my WSM that windy night I wouldn’t have slept at all! In fact knowing the weather I wouldn’t have even tried.

Don't forget, there's the LO Temp/ HIGH Smoke setting to use as well. I also don't preheat the pit. Once the grate is clean, I put the meat on during the warmup. I have never noticed any soot, or ash on my food. I just look at this time period as being extra smoke. These things don't take all that long to warm up anyway....
[/QUOTE
How do I get to this setting?

Crank lower when it reads at 200. It goes into the extra smoke mode.

That looks really good by the way. I've done a few overnight cooks on mine. Easy and stress free.

Smoke at extreme smoke for the first 12 hrs then 235 for the last 3 to 4
I smoked my first brisket on extreme smoke(180°) for 8 hours until the internal was160 and finished in the oven wrapped in foil. It had plenty of smoke and was great. My wife said to sell my stick burner.

I smoked my first brisket on extreme smoke(180°) for 8 hours until the internal was160 and finished in the oven wrapped in foil. It had plenty of smoke and was great. My wife said to sell my stick burner.
Interesting. Maybe it’s just me but I did a 10lb shoulder yesterday smoked at 180 for two hours and even added a smoke tube full of chips. Flavor was great but still not enough smoke as I like. Switching to lumberjack pellets to see how they differ.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back