Brisket Overnight Help

I put my first overnight brisket on extreme smoke until it got to 160° internal and then wrapped. It took about 8 hour to get to that point and it was great. It took about 4 more hours @ 225° to finish cooking.
Beth, the best thing you could do it to remove the grate inside the hopper to prevent the pellet feed issues.
@Mastertech59 I looked at doing that yesterday because it gets in the way when I use the buckethead to change pellets. But it looks like it is welded in.

I’ve read (here) that there are screws that secure it. There’s also silicone, which might look like a weld. FWIW mine does the same funneling unsurprisingly.
1E4CFE80-84AE-4557-B406-2E5EF543046D.jpeg

I’ve read (here) that there are screws that secure it. There’s also silicone, which might look like a weld. FWIW mine does the same funneling unsurprisingly. View attachment 5281
Yep, that's what mine looked like only a bit worse. They should come up with a fix for this. I wonder if removing the grate would make the difference or not.

I know this is probably a stupid question, but how do I get under the grate? I did not do the assembly of my 590.
The hopper grate was installed at the factory. You would have to go through the holes in the grate to remove them with a small stubby Philips screw driver.
Hopper.jpg

Thank you. I'll check the links out. Do you think that will make the difference and force the pellets to funnel down?
I think so, the Bull doesn't use a hopper grate and I've never experienced pellet feed issues. I have also read some posts on FB about people removing the hopper grate on the Bullseye because of the pellet feed issues with good results. I'm pretty sure the only reason the hopper grate are in these grills is because the lawyers said it should be in there.

I think so, the Bull doesn't use a hopper grate and I've never experienced pellet feed issues. I have also read some posts on FB about people removing the hopper grate on the Bullseye because of the pellet feed issues with good results. I'm pretty sure the only reason the hopper grate is in there because the lawyers said it should be.
Makes sense! Looks like I will need to remove the pellets in order to do this after my cook today. Checked my pellets. Already started to funnel again.

Attachments

• IMG_20200705_102545.jpg
    IMG_20200705_102545.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 85
My first overnight cook it's done!! My brisket and point (separated) took 18 hours! Then another 1.5 hours in the cooler. First time making burnt ends.

Don't judge me, but I have never been a brisket person. But cooking it is very exciting to me. And I enjoy it smoked. I was very happy with the bark. Smoke ring was great all around. Never having had burnt ends before, I was not exactly certain what to expect. But they were really good and very tender. I saved the larger piece of the point because my husband likes it sliced.

I did the pull test and the bend test and I think I passed those tests. It was very probe tender. Like warm butter as they say.

It did not break apart. It was tender but I didn't see moisture dripping out of it like I've seen in some videos. In those videos, the brisket is always wrapped in foil and beef stock or something like it is added. I would think at that point you would be compromising the bark but maybe it would be very juicy. Something I will probably try next since I love to experiment.

We are very happy with the outcome and always ready to try a new way of doing anything.

Thank you to all of my Forum friends that help to advise me in my smoking endeavors. You are greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_20200704_223327.jpg
    IMG_20200704_223327.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 111
  • IMG_20200704_223332.jpg
    IMG_20200704_223332.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 109
  • IMG_20200705_070950.jpg
    IMG_20200705_070950.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 108
  • IMG_20200705_183821.jpg
    IMG_20200705_183821.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 109
  • IMG_20200705_185557.jpg
    IMG_20200705_185557.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 109
  • IMG_20200705_185526.jpg
    IMG_20200705_185526.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 116
  • IMG_20200705_185820_1.jpg
    IMG_20200705_185820_1.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 121
Looks great @BethV. The spuds look tasty too! Mine came out good. Had a bit of an oops with some of the bark sticking to the butcher paper when I removed it, but overall, it was very tasty and juicy. I noticed a lot more fat coming off it (in the bucket) than the previous time I cooked brisket. I was less aggressive with my trim and left more fat on this time. It rendered down well and added to the flavor. Also, this was a choice angus from Smart Foodservice rather than a prime from Costco, so perhaps that made a difference too.
0EDADF70-44AF-4D26-A65F-5493F4771803.jpeg

BF83D3C6-0F9A-49DD-9D4D-22EF0A103A85.jpeg

Looks great @BethV. The spuds look tasty too! Mine came out good. Had a bit of an oops with some of the bark sticking to the butcher paper when I removed it, but overall, it was very tasty and juicy. I noticed a lot more fat coming off it (in the bucket) than the previous time I cooked brisket. I was less aggressive with my trim and left more fat on this time. It rendered down well and added to the flavor. Also, this was a choice angus from Smart Foodservice rather than a prime from Costco, so perhaps that made a difference too.
View attachment 5297
View attachment 5296
That looks great! Nothing stuck to my butcher paper. Just lots of grease or maybe juice? But I think I will leave a little more fat on it next time. I left a quarter inch of fat on the flat. Very little on the point. I did get mine from Costco and it is prime. But I separated the point and the flat before cooking. I really loved the flavor but I would not call mine juicy. There was maybe a teaspoon of fat in the bucket.
Every brisket I make seems to be different but then again so is my method of cooking it.

I dont usually wrap at all. I also usually run over night cooks on low (180), until morning, then turn up the temp, depending on size of meat. I did a 8lbs pork butt and it ended up a taking 17 hours.

That's sure a fine looking brisket! My hopper does the same thing with regards to pellet funneling. I got to it just in time on my last cook. The anger had only a few pellets in it but the hopper walls still had pellets on them. Using cooking pellets now. Not sure if it's a pellet manufacturing thing, or not.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back