First Cook on the new Bull

Welcome to the 700 clib. Absolutely love mine after 2.5 years with it. I’ve got a packer brisket going on in a few hours for an overnight cook. So nice to toss it on and go to sleep. I’ll check on it through the night when I have the normal wake up episodes. So convenient.

I took the plunge and bought a RT 700 after debating it for a year. Put it together on Saturday and loving it but we tried a pork butt on Sunday, 3.5 lbs at 225 and it took 10 hours which seemed crazy long. Last night we put on 9lb butt at 8pm and by 1am to our surprise it was at 151 (planning to foil it at 160 so I put the foil on at 151 before going to bed). I was worried it was cooking so fast it would finish before morning so i turned down the temp to 200 with the foil and went to sleep. In the AM temp was 165 so I put the temp back to 225 and it is now close to 6pm (22 hrs of smoking) and it hasn't yet hit 200 degrees. What did I do wrong? Two hours ago i put the temp up to 250 trying to get this thing to finish. Any help or ideas would be appreciated. Love the the pellet smoker but still learning I guess.

I took the plunge and bought a RT 700 after debating it for a year. Put it together on Saturday and loving it but we tried a pork butt on Sunday, 3.5 lbs at 225 and it took 10 hours which seemed crazy long. Last night we put on 9lb butt at 8pm and by 1am to our surprise it was at 151 (planning to foil it at 160 so I put the foil on at 151 before going to bed). I was worried it was cooking so fast it would finish before morning so i turned down the temp to 200 with the foil and went to sleep. In the AM temp was 165 so I put the temp back to 225 and it is now close to 6pm (22 hrs of smoking) and it hasn't yet hit 200 degrees. What did I do wrong? Two hours ago i put the temp up to 250 trying to get this thing to finish. Any help or ideas would be appreciated. Love the the pellet smoker but still learning I guess.
Verify minimum feed rate

Your cooker temp was too low. 225 or even 250 would have been right.
Why can't the grill be set to 200? I believe "LO" is 180 so I'm confused. Just trying to figure this out.
Thanks

Why can't the grill be set to 200? I believe "LO" is 180 so I'm confused. Just trying to figure this out.
Thanks
I should rephrase. Your cooker temp was too low with respect to the expected time frame for the cook. Sure you can cook at 200. But it will take a LOT longer. Particularly for a big thick piece of pork butt

I should rephrase. Your cooker temp was too low with respect to the expected time frame for the cook. Sure you can cook at 200. But it will take a LOT longer. Particularly for a big thick piece of pork butt
Thank you 👍

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back