First cook with Bullseye and Bull

Mr. Clean

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
  2. Bullseye
  3. Matador
Took the plunge and got a Matador, Bullseye and Bull, they arrived Thursday.

Last night broke in the Bullseye, 400 degrees for an hour. Then made the mistake of trying to season the grates with Bacon.

FIRE!!!!!

Lesson learned or so I thought.

Today time to do chicken thighs. Bullseye set on 300 degrees was showing from 487 to 404 degrees on my Fireboard 2.

I called Rec Teq and they stated just to set it to 400 and add the chicken thighs, well same problem set to 400 and BOOM, grease FIRE!!!

So I opened the lid, reduced to 250 and rotated the chicks.

Probe on the Fireboard read 175 and pulled the chicken at 175 degrees and they were juicy and delicious.

So I ran one hour on low and one hour on 225 to understand the fluctuations, LOVE DATA, I will post those screenshots.

Burned in the Bull, set it to 400, put Fireboard in the right side of the grill and it was steady, It was about 380 degrees versus the actual reading of 400 on the controller.

Cooked more chicken thighs and its nice and seasoned.

Takeaway for me is that you just have to learn every time you cook with a new grill. I will get the Bullseye down, just need to cook more.

Pictures, because I know everyone likes pictures.

IMG_0270.JPG

IMG_0264.JPG

IMG_0271.JPG

IMG_0272.JPG

First screenshot on Low, you can see the fluctuations from 200 to 250, run time was an hour.

Second screenshot, 225 degrees, 209 to 262, ignore the drop off and spike, that was me moving the probe to the Bull.

Third shot is the Bull, very steady temperatures, now I can fine tune from here. I am planning on doing a baseline at higher temperatures.
B9C612CE-1F35-4D56-999A-008DA39A442A.png

F0A337C5-FDB2-466D-A918-5C9EB3F82DA2.png
4C001064-804C-41B6-B1E0-71D2215ADA53.png

Last edited:
My takeaway from the Bullseye is they require a frequent burn-off especially when you are cooking greasy foods. A rule of thumb, if you see grease all over the heat deflector or in your grates, a big fire is coming!

I have not used the disposable pans yet, but others say they work well. My first several
Cooks with the bullseye resulted in big fires.

My takeaway from the Bullseye is they require a frequent burn-off especially when you are cooking greasy foods. A rule of thumb, if you see grease all over the heat deflector or in your grates, a big fire is coming!

I have not used the disposable pans yet, but others say they work well. My first several
Cooks with the bullseye resulted in big fires.
That's the Bullseye way :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CRG
Back