Cook Variations from 340 to Bull

Simarti28

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I purchased my Bull back in March this year after owning the 340 for 1.5 years. I’m noticing that my ribs no longer fall off the bone using my tried and true recipe and my smoked salmon takes longer than it did on the 340. Quantities of meats used are the same. I’ve since sold the 340, so no opportunity for side by side comparison.

Has anyone had a similar experience? I’m not big into thermodynamics, but could it have something to do with the size of the grill, radiant heat or the lid seal that I’ve installed?

Temp is temp, so I'm not sure what could be going on unless your temps are not accurate.

Do check the temps on your grill to ensure they are accurate (For example, my Bull runs 4% lower on smoking temps, so instead of 225 it was 216. Instead of 250, it was 240). It could be that the one or the other cooks hotter than the other.

Having said that, I am not sure that sure that amount of temp difference would affect much, but yours could be off by more. Luckily, RT does provide a offset that you can adjust up or down to lock it in.

Note: The offset adjustment is in %, not temp.

Thanks for the tip, I didn’t know this was adjustable. I’ll check it out. Sounds like an excuse to buy a new thermoworks 😏

Thanks for the tip, I didn’t know this was adjustable. I’ll check it out. Sounds like an excuse to buy a new thermoworks 😏
Definitely check the temps with an ambient probe. I used the middle of the grill so it was dead center. I actually step thru various temps for an hour at a time to see what it was across the board.

Higher temps were actually +4% higher than indicated, but I was primarily concerned with the lower temps. If I am searing a steak, I don't care that 500 is actually 520, etc.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back