Favorite place to buy spices

What would be your general threshold on a rub?
The cost of salt, pepper, onion salt and garlic salt (and, maybe a couple of other common spices) to make my own SPOG. Literally pennies.

My objective has always been (and, continues to be) to highlight and enhance the natural flavor of the protein, not to alter or mask it. In that regard, I subscribe to the KISS principle; Keep It Strictly Simple.

@Greg Jones thank you! I hope you like it.
Turns out that Buc-ee’s carries the HCC rubs as well, so I’m equipped!
D74403D3-86CC-45B7-B8AB-54737DE175FA.jpeg

Looking to buy spices off the internet. I live in a town of 1800 people so options are a bit limited. What is your favorite website or if you shop in Chattanooga or Knoxville where do you go to get your spices besides Walmart, Kroger ect
If you have an ACE Hardware near by, check them out. My local ACE started stocking a boat load of most all the rubs and spices that I use to order online. They also sell many of the top brand BBQ grills like Big Green Egg, Weber, Traeger.

Seems like bbq spices are well-covered here. For other spices and fruits like saffron, pepper, a variety of dried chillies, mustard seed, turmeric, vanilla, cacao, salts, cinnamon, cumin, and many other spices, I can't sing the praises loud enough for Diaspora https://www.diasporaco.com/collections/all#spices . They're fair trade and source 150 different single-source spices from across India. Founded by an American woman of Indian descent.

Seems like bbq spices are well-covered here. For other spices and fruits like saffron, pepper, a variety of dried chillies, mustard seed, turmeric, vanilla, cacao, salts, cinnamon, cumin, and many other spices, I can't sing the praises loud enough for Diaspora https://www.diasporaco.com/collections/all#spices . They're fair trade and source 150 different single-source spices from across India. Founded by an American woman of Indian descent.
This was what I was looking for thanks

Well for me there is only one if you like great chili spice (best I have ever had).. All great spices and Tea's... Monterey Bay HERB Co... also great prices.... Make your own.... Then Butcher's and Packers' our of Chicago. BUT if you like Chili HERB Co..

I highly recommend The Lawman Rub Co in Knoxville. Chuck is a standup guy from my neck of the woods that recently escaped back to America upon retirement and set up a shop (as well as an online store). He has his own product line as well as carrying many of the popular and competition proven products. My favorite is his Deputy Coach lemon pepper in honor of his colleague killed in the line of duty.
Thank you Pacman.

Now you've done it Pacman. Checked out his website this morning and placed an order already. His retail location is not too far from some of my regular jaunts so I'll be checking that out as well. Appreciate your recommendation. I know I'm going to be in trouble on the home front soon.......:cool:
Thanks Larry for getting me here. It’s was like the dinner party there for a min. Left out in the cold

While on the subject of spices, I found that they lose their flavor after they have been opened up for a while. I try to buy only small amounts which make them more expensive. Anyone have a way of keeping them "fresh tasting" after opening?

Looking to buy spices off the internet. I live in a town of 1800 people so options are a bit limited. What is your favorite website or if you shop in Chattanooga or Knoxville where do you go to get your spices besides Walmart, Kroger
Looking to buy spices off the internet. I live in a town of 1800 people so options are a bit limited. What is your favorite website or if you shop in Chattanooga or Knoxville where do you go to get your spices besides Walmart, Kroger ect
for me, in my neck of the woods. B’s Rubs. Online of course. Lots of variants. If you like garlic ( who doesn’t) my stand by is from Spiceman.com. GARLIC LOVERS! Good stuff Maynard!!

While on the subject of spices, I found that they lose their flavor after they have been opened up for a while. I try to buy only small amounts which make them more expensive. Anyone have a way of keeping them "fresh tasting" after opening?
Absolutely right! Most spices have a relatively short shelf life once opened, so buying only the quantity you will use fairly quickly makes good sense.

I have vacuum-sealed packets of the rubs I make for myself and that seems to help, but is kind of a pain; especially for smaller quantities.

When I started getting into smoker and more involved gill cooking, I went through the spices we have in the cabinet looking at expiration dates, many of them were out of date, a few by well over 10 years, some had no date but looked like they had been around since our early days many moons ago. Till then I didn’t even know they were dated, at least most are. I try to keep up now, replacing the old.

Here in ND Home of Economy has a surprisingly good bbq spice and sauce selection.
current favorites are;
Kansas City Cowtown Squeal for pork and chicken.
big poppas Money for beef and venison.
I’ve noticed that Amazon doesn’t necessarily have the best spice prices. Sometimes the manufacturers will have better deals or specials.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back