Bullseye Drip pan on Bullseye

Vike55

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bullseye
Just got my Bullseye last week and I’m curious, does everyone use a drip pan every time? So far I’ve done chicken breast and a Tri-Tip and used a disposable pan on both. Is it necessary? Thanks, loving it so far!

I mostly use the Bullseye as a hot and fast grill, so I don’t use a drip pan often. However, the more helpful answer would be it depends on what you are cooking. For chicken breast, no. For tri-tip, flip a coin. For a whole chicken, then yes I would use a drip pan. I just did a spatchcocked turkey on mine last weekend, and I used a wire rack on a half sheet pan.

I mostly use the Bullseye as a hot and fast grill, so I don’t use a drip pan often. However, the more helpful answer would be it depends on what you are cooking. For chicken breast, no. For tri-tip, flip a coin. For a whole chicken, then yes I would use a drip pan. I just did a spatchcocked turkey on mine last weekend, and I used a wire rack on a half sheet pan.
Thanks for the info…another quick question. Is it OK to set a foil pan directly on the flame deflector or should it be on the grille?

Thanks for the info…another quick question. Is it OK to set a foil pan directly on the flame deflector or should it be on the grille?
If you are doing low and slow cooks, which is the main reason you would need a drip pan, you will be fine. However, using a drip pan directly on the deflector in Riot mode could possibly melt the pan.

I cook tri tip all the time on my bullseye. I smoke it on low until it hits about 110 F, remove the meat. Turn the bullseye to 500F, put the meat back on and sear it. There is hardly any fat on a tri-tip if it's trimmed properly. The entire process takes less than an hour. And I never use a drip pan. I trim my tri-tip because I want a great sear on the meat not the fat. And for me it's a fast cook.

I know others cook it as a roast and they probably keep that fat cap on. In that case I would use a drip pan.

I only use a drip pan placed directly on top of the deflector when I'm cooking really greasy things like poultry with skin.

I also always add water to the drip pan. Otherwise the fat that drips into the drip pan starts burning and can ignite.

I cook tri tip all the time on my bullseye. I smoke it on low until it hits about 110 F, remove the meat. Turn the bullseye to 500F, put the meat back on and sear it. There is hardly any fat on a tri-tip if it's trimmed properly. The entire process takes less than an hour. And I never use a drip pan. I trim my tri-tip because I want a great sear on the meat not the fat. And for me it's a fast cook.

I know others cook it as a roast and they probably keep that fat cap on. In that case I would use a drip pan.

I only use a drip pan placed directly on top of the deflector when I'm cooking really greasy things like poultry with skin.

I also always add water to the drip pan. Otherwise the fat that drips into the drip pan starts burning and can ignite.
Thanks for the info! I’m about ready to head to Costco and pick up another tri-tip for the weekend.

I love my Bullseye and great advice above! I mostly use mine for hot and fast as I also have a 590. I also keep grillgrates on it 24/7.
Cooked chicken breasts and flat irons last night that were perfect!!!
I do have a Tri-Tip to cook, and I may try on the Bullseye based on @BethV

I would say I have only had an issue when I cooked very greasy food that dripped onto the deflector, causing a grease fire, not fun, but all ok.

I only use the Bullseye for hot cooks, so I have never used a pan in some five years now. The deflector plate is hot enough to vaporize any drippings. Now for my two whole chickens I like to cook on the Bullseye I use two layers of foil which is enough to catch the excess grease so still no pan used. I use an RT-700 for all of the slow cooks but if using the Bullseye for slow cooks like port butts I would probably use a pan.

Attachments

• Two whole chickens 1-30-21.jpg
    Two whole chickens 1-30-21.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 360
So I mainly start out slow on mine with ribs and chops, so develop alot of grease, and just had my second fire. Nothing major, but took about 10 minutes to calm down. I will keep it cleaner in future, but i thought there was a string about why not to use a drip pan with the 380?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WiFiGuru
Back