Do pellets freeze?

Bassman37

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Hi guys...newbie question. Temps here in Chicagoland have been between 10 - 30 degrees as of late. Will pellets in my smoker hopper freeze or will it be a non-factor once I start it up?
Thanks in advance.

Hi guys...newbie question. Temps here in Chicagoland have been between 10 - 30 degrees as of late. Will pellets in my smoker hopper freeze or will it be a non-factor once I start it up?
Thanks in advance.
If they're wet. But then, you will have other issues.

Thanks in advance.
So long as there isn't any moisture in them, such as being wet like @Jigsaw mentioned. My RT-700 always has pellets in it year round and they flow the same through the grill in mid winter as they do mid summer.

Hey BMan. I have my 680 outside here in NJ for years, uncovered. Never had an issue with the pellets getting wet or freezing. Starts up and runs like a charm everytime I hit the start button. Will be hitting it tomorrow afternoon for a couple of spare rib racks.

Hey cookingjnj,
Having lived a bit north of you in Mahwah in the past, I remember the winters in New Jersey to be as cold as they are here in northern Illinois so I guess that I will have no issues. Thanks for the quick response and good luck with the rib racks.

Thanks in advance.
Live North of the City and keep my pellets in sealed 5 gallon buckets inside my garage which is not heated. Never had any issues so far! Like others said as long as they don’t get wet you should be good to go. Enjoy.

(Copied from another thread)
We had 9" of Snow Thursday night Friday (31 Dec) morning , brushed that off, topped off the Hopper and cooked Momma's Prime Rib in a Snow Storm
Started 18 lbs of Brisket New Years Night, for Sunday
Snowed most of the night
Haven't had a lick of trouble yet

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back