Premium Member!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
  2. Bullseye
  3. Trailblazer
  4. Matador
  5. WyldSide
As a FYI for anyone who thinks that it’s not possible to melt aluminum in a grill… the Wyldside says ‘Hold my beer!’ Brand new set of GrillGrates. :(
EEB05B11-2EE4-46FE-9620-FA16CDEE2217.jpeg

So.....what you are saying is that the volcano sear is still out of reach? 🤪

Is it even possible for wood to get that hot on a grill?

Hopefully the Grill Grates will have a proper disposal.

Two of the 3 grates look fine, so crossing my fingers on that. I actually didn’t try the other grates as it turned out I didn’t need them anyway. I had a 7.5# cut of strip steak on the rotisserie, pulled it off at 125* with the intent of slicing them and giving the steaks a quick sear on each side. I shoved all the coals under the grates, lowered them down, and then went to slice the steaks. They were already a medium rare so I went back to the Wyldside to raise the grates back up and this is what I saw. The side plate of stainless is also warped, and some of the aluminum fused to some of the stainless. Hot indeed.
B36F4FB2-E0D4-4249-ACC0-4A7113955342.jpeg

Two of the 3 grates look fine, so crossing my fingers on that. I actually didn’t try the other grates as it turned out I didn’t need them anyway. I had a 7.5# cut of strip steak on the rotisserie, pulled it off at 125* with the intent of slicing them and giving the steaks a quick sear on each side. I shoved all the coals under the grates, lowered them down, and then went to slice the steaks. They were already a medium rare so I went back to the Wyldside to raise the grates back up and this is what I saw. The side plate of stainless is also warped, and some of the aluminum fused to some of the stainless. Hot indeed.
View attachment 11467
grease fire?

Wow. Very interesting. My cast iron keeps looking better every day. I subject them to 1100F often but wonder if they could withstand your temps without damage. I bet you could “cook” the seasoning right off one if needed.

Old thread. But, while we're at it...

You can "read" temperature by color.
https://firefightergarage.com/how-hot-is-fire-temperature-color/

Generally, our grills and bbqs almost always have fire in them that can melt or at least soften metals. The thing that prevents that from happening is usually the volume of heat is low enough and the dissipation of the heat on/in the metal parts is fast enough to prevent melting. In Greg's example above, the volume of heat exceeded the ability of the grates to dissipate it fast enough to prevent melting.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back