Bull Smoking Multiple butts...need input

Smoke'n Hot

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Hey Pelletheads, side note I miss Jimmy Bufffet, I normally smoke my pork shoulders/butts in a pan. I have agreed to smoke enough meet for 75 people. I bought 5 shoulders. I don't think I can get 5 11 to 12 pound butts on the 700 in pans. I think I can easily get 5 without the pans under them. Will the pork smoke fine at 225 without being in a foil pan? I read using a Pan helps keep it moist. I do inject my pork butts with apple juice and spices before I smoke them. Whats your advice and wisdom ?

I've not really noticed any real difference smoking pork butts in a pan or directly on the racks particularly if I inject and smoke at 225. Really the only reason I've ever done them in pans (well sheet pans with wire racks) is to make less of a mess to clean up.

Cooking as many as you're talking about would have me leaning towards cooking directly on the rack(s) so that you're not choking down your air and smoke flow with a bunch of pans.

Jimmy Buffet GIF by Alan Jackson

Butts are already so moist and fat marbled, they do not need any injecting "why punch big holes in meat" or the nuisance of brining? I have smoked more over the years than I can fathom, they always turnout amazing with just a really good application of dry rub seasoning. I don't see you getting 5 butts in your smoker at once "you also need adequate space between them", I recommend splitting up the cook. I'll pre cook pork and have it all pulled and sitting in a large aluminum pan refrigerated, then will give a splash of apple juice wrapped with foil, all the while warming up low and slow at 170F in the oven for 5 to 6 hours. No hassles, no rush and no stress.......trust me, it's on par with straight off the smoker the day of. ;) Good luck and well wishes, that's a helluva crowd of people to cook for at once without being on a big offset stick burner the day of.

I’ve cooked many butts at the same time and my recommendation (if you really want to catch the drippings) is to cut down a large disposable pan‘s height to around 2” and put it under the grates. Once done, put three on the normal grates, then use the large RT shelf (or equivalent) and put 2 on top of it. I can’t prove it but moving the butts height up in the chamber seems to helps with the smoke absorption further away from the drip pan. Another tip is to tie the butts with string to keep the sizes as uniform as possible (especially if boneless). This will cut down on the risk of have the edge pieces cook faster than the center. You may also need to rotate the butts during the cook based on where your hot spots are. I have put 8 butts the size you are describing on at once and had enough space to have an air gap between each. As it relates to injecting, it can add moisture and flavor but you should check the fat content and adjust the quantity accordingly. You can also put some apple juice and apple cider vinegar into the drip pan as a way to increase the “juiciness” of your butts with higher chamber humidity. Just don’t overdue the vinegar content or it can make the pork a little acidic. Just my thoughts. Good luck as you may be looking at about 17 hours (including rest time) for your endeavor.

I do multiple butts frequently (10 - 14). I make sure to leave a little breathing room around each of them. I run mine at 220 and will put them on about 14- 16 hours prior to my desired "off the smoker" time. I always remind myself that the butts have a mind of their own. They will be done when they are done.

Once I get them in and close the top, I try not to reopen the lid until they are done. I don't spritz, inject, foil, or anything. I just smoke the pork butts. That said, if I get a temp spike or something that is not acting right, I will go check to see what's up.

I agree with SmokeZilla, I have to tie up boneless butts. I use plain butchers string and will use at least 3 ties per boneless butt. I need to make sure to avoid a butt unravelling and ruining the "flaps" by way overcooking them.

Butts are done when a bamboo skewer pushes into the butt like through soft butter. (I look for 200 - 205 as a target but, the butts will tell you when they are done if you use the skewer.)

All this is just an old guys opinion but based on experience.

v/r r

I don't inject, spritz, or wrap butts. Just rub and smoke. Haven't made a dry one yet.

Here are 5, 12 pounders on my Bull. A 6th would've fit but I needed room for 4 more so I used my neighbors 590.

I have noticed the ones on the right hand side always get done faster. If getting them done at the same time is important to you, I'd rotate them at the halfway point.

5 butts 700.jpg

4 butts 590.jpg

Darn it Ghuns.... now I have to go find lunch. Your making me hungry.
:)
v/r r

I agree that injection, wrapping, etc. is not required for pork butt, but I will often inject if I'm trying to do something different like a carnitas style or apple cider pulled pork instead of "normal" pork..

I use his Cajun Spice for my red beans and rice cooks. His Cajun spice with along with a good andouille sausage lets me create a really good flavor profile (real creole). I didn't know about his injectables. Thanks for sharing.
v/r r

My pleasure! Super Walmart had the stuff on sale for under $5, a deal!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back