Stampede Costco Pork Butt

SRS

Wife bought 12lbs. of Pork butt from Costco that were actually two 6lb butts. Needed them for a dinner next day @ 6:00 at a friends house. Had to be there @ 3:00 though which made things fun plus they live 45 minutes away. Put em on the 590 @ 4 a.m. & went back to bed. Yes 225 degrees & crutched them @ 150 degrees. Originally was going to cook them through the stall but temp wasn't moving so the crutch! Took them off @ 1:30 pm. triple wrapped them in foil and into a styro foam chest lined with towels. Took them out of the chest at 6:00 pm unwrapped them & they were still piping hot. That being said I thought that there are some of you out there that freak out about time when smoking Butts or Brisket. You can wrap them if need be. I've done it numerous times when time wasn't my friend. No, you can't wrap everything either.

Attachments

• Butts.jpg
    Butts.jpg
    684.1 KB · Views: 160
Yes, what's up with the Costco's cut-up pork butts? You can't tell when you see it in the plastic package, but when you bring it home and open it, you may end up with 2 or more cut up 'chunks'. Plus I've never seen them there with 'bone-in', which I prefer. They generally have very good meats, but I have also been disappointed with the way the butchered a brisket I purchased a few months ago, which when I opened the package, it had a funky "oops slice" cut near the middle.

For the most part, I love shopping Costco's meat department, but sometimes I think their butchers need to go back to school for some remedial training....just sayin'....

Yes I bought a 14.5lb boneless pork butt at Costco last week. Was hoping for bone in but I was there and that’s all they had. Opened it up last night and it was 2! Couldn’t tell from the packaging. All the same I guess.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back