Costco Failed Me

To be clear, I'm not hating on Costco with my post because they've always been a great source of quality meat. I wanted to make sure that people understood you should ALWAYS examine the meat your buying to make sure it's what you thin it is. Don't just assume that because Costco has (almost) always offered Prime beef at similar prices to what local shops offer Choice doesn't mean that's always the case and not look. I know that it's easy to do though in the normal every day hustle and bustle of life and I'm sure I've been guilty of it too and maybe not even noticed or blamed my cooking process for the decrease in results. Just trying to put the info out there for those that haven't really considered it previously to take an extra second to look.

Completely understand, and I’m right there with you. A big Costco fan and usually love their meat selection. They just seem to be a little more all over the place recently on their selections. I don’t think it’s just them though. It seems like the market is a bit off right now.

I found baby back ribs at Costco with no issues, bought some Friday and smoked them yesterday. They had plenty at the 2 stores I went to as did Sam's Club

C273D1B1-14C6-4C84-BB33-02845AD905CB.jpeg

Came out great! Also made some bacon wrapped corn.

Thank god I have a small town butcher in my area. He always has everything I need or want and did so they the whole pandemic and the best part is that he’s cheaper thank most supermarkets

Wish I had that around me. Ours are all upscale where they try and sell you the correct wine to go with your cut of meat. Meat is at least double if not triple+ the cost of grocery stores. Even our BBQ specialty stores are nuts wanting $40 to $100/lb for some of their steaks.

I found baby back ribs at Costco with no issues, bought some Friday and smoked them yesterday. They had plenty at the 2 stores I went to as did Sam's Club
I got some at our Costco last week. It was actually the first time I've seen any there that weren't a national brand. I actually thought it might have been a package that had gotten ripped open when unpacking and they just rewrapped it in their packaging. It had more meat on it then what I'm used to getting there so I guess it really was some of their own.

My guests liked the corn. Just butter the corn, salt/pepper (or rub), and wrap with 3 to 4 thin sliced bacon strips. Cook it like you do bacon. Takes a few hours on low heat.

My guests liked the corn. Just butter the corn, salt/pepper (or rub), and wrap with 3 to 4 thin sliced bacon strips. Cook it like you do bacon. Takes a few hours on low heat.
I foiled my corn with butter and Old Bay seasoning. Good stuff!

We cook corn in the husk on the gasser. Soak it in water first, then onto the grill. Don't bother removing the silk first, it comes off easily when you shuck after cooking.
I used a brush this time to remove the silk and it worked.

It took 3 trips to Costco to get my ribs for Sunday. I couldn't bring myself to pay 6.99/lb at the grocery. I ended up with 2- 3packs of baby backs, and 15lbs of shoulder (boneless and in 2 pieces?) for about 40 people. The best part is, everyone filled up on sides as they were presented rather than wait for serving time, and didn't eat all of the meat, so we had late night scooby snacks for the hangers-on and leftovers yesterday.
Note to self: 3pm service is either too late, or too early for most people.

I got some at our Costco last week. It was actually the first time I've seen any there that weren't a national brand. I actually thought it might have been a package that had gotten ripped open when unpacking and they just rewrapped it in their packaging. It had more meat on it then what I'm used to getting there so I guess it really was some of their own.

The ones I've always gotten from Costco were hormel.
Sam's clubs are IBP now Tyson

I smoked a trimmed 16+ pound Choice Brisket and a 11 pound pork shoulder at the same time in my RT700 last Saturday. I normally go to a local meat distributor and buy only fresh never frozen meats for smoking and that was the case this time. I was however shocked at the price of the Brisket, especially being Choice and not Prime. 2 years ago was the last time I did a Brisket and it was Prime and about 1/2 the price per pound as the one last weekend.

I smoked a trimmed 16+ pound Choice Brisket and a 11 pound pork shoulder at the same time in my RT700 last Saturday. I normally go to a local meat distributor and buy only fresh never frozen meats for smoking and that was the case this time. I was however shocked at the price of the Brisket, especially being Choice and not Prime. 2 years ago was the last time I did a Brisket and it was Prime and about 1/2 the price per pound as the one last weekend.
Prices are crazy... I picked up a brisket flat for $4.99 per pound and thought that was a deal. Pork butt at $1.99 per pound. Now I just have to cook this stuff before it goes bad.

It took 3 trips to Costco to get my ribs for Sunday. I couldn't bring myself to pay 6.99/lb at the grocery. I ended up with 2- 3packs of baby backs, and 15lbs of shoulder (boneless and in 2 pieces?) for about 40 people. The best part is, everyone filled up on sides as they were presented rather than wait for serving time, and didn't eat all of the meat, so we had late night scooby snacks for the hangers-on and leftovers yesterday.
Note to self: 3pm service is either too late, or too early for most people.

What's a cryopack of 3 racks of babybacks runnning lately? With all the fluctuation in the economy and cyber ransom chaos, our 4th of July block party may be served tube steak.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back