Costco Failed Me

Hilbe

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
  2. Bullseye
I buy baby back ribs at Costco every few weeks. I had every intention of getting some baby backs today at Costco, but they where out! Only St. Louis style and tons of it. Think they're having supply chain issues. Not a fan of the St. Louis ribs with all the gristle.

Guess I'm making burgers and hot dogs for Memorial Day... like a savage!

Anyone else keeping it basic due to unable to find their favorite meat?

My wife would leave me if I made dogs or burgers for our family. I think she only loves me for bbq. I thank my lucky stars I have a RecTec to keep her in bbq she has become accustomed to. She's a babyback girl, but will eat a spare rib in a pinch.

I have to agree, Costco doesn't cut the spare ribs in a way the St Louis cut was intended. They just leave too much on the tips and there is gristle, at least at my Costco.

With that Bull,, you oughta be able to whip up sumpin better'n tube steak and mashed meat.

How about some pulled pork? Tritip? Flap meat made into burnt ends? A smoke salmon/steelhead fillet? Spatchcocked chicken?

The meat supply chain is definitely wonky right now. Costco normally has Prime grade packer briskets as well. Last time I was there I noticed that their packers were all Choice Grade for about the same price per-pound the normally sell Prime packers. Not blaming them, just pointing it out.

sorry to hear about your luck. burgers can be great though. when i do burgers i like to do them up right. i like a great bun with the smooth inside buttered and browned like a grilled cheese for a crunch. and loads of great bacon and home made chilli with cheese slices cut from a block. you can also reverse sear them for a smoke flavor, but i personally prefer to cook mine at 350. let us know how it goes. good luck

E10C543D-B45B-46FA-BD8E-8762377FA506.jpeg
Score. Kroger had them on sale!

The meat supply chain is definitely wonky right now. Costco normally has Prime grade packer briskets as well. Last time I was there I noticed that their packers were all Choice Grade for about the same price per-pound the normally sell Prime packers. Not blaming them, just pointing it out.

Yeah, I love Costco but it’s been all over the place these days. 2 weeks ago I got a packer brisket, but I noticed Thursday that they only had flats. Also, all the Boston Butts were boneless. You can still make it work, but I prefer bone-in.

Yeah, I love Costco but it’s been all over the place these days. 2 weeks ago I got a packer brisket, but I noticed Thursday that they only had flats. Also, all the Boston Butts were boneless. You can still make it work, but I prefer bone-in.
To be clear, I'm not hating on Costco with my post because they've always been a great source of quality meat. I wanted to make sure that people understood you should ALWAYS examine the meat your buying to make sure it's what you thin it is. Don't just assume that because Costco has (almost) always offered Prime beef at similar prices to what local shops offer Choice doesn't mean that's always the case and not look. I know that it's easy to do though in the normal every day hustle and bustle of life and I'm sure I've been guilty of it too and maybe not even noticed or blamed my cooking process for the decrease in results. Just trying to put the info out there for those that haven't really considered it previously to take an extra second to look.

I love Costco for meats - ground beef, fillets, butts, ribs, etc. Just get disappointed when they have 100s of St. Louis style and nothing back ribs. Kroger for the save.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Srbbates
Back