Cookin’ ribs question

Jarrow

Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-1250
Cooking two racks of spareribs at 200, started at noon and now its 3pm but the internal temp is only at 120.
Do I keep cooking them at 200 until they reach the 160 internal and then wrap as normal, or just wrap them now and cook at 225 until the 207 internal temp? I’ve been spraying them to keep them moist. Thanks for the help!

I don’t go by temp on ribs. Once the color is what I want I’ll wrap. I usually run temp of grill at 225 apx 2 to 3 hrs unwrapped then wrap with butter, more rub, brown sugar, honey and a little apple juice for about an hr or so then open up foil and apply sauce. There are tons of ways to do ribs. You can just let them run there course unwrapped till probe tender. Good luck

Thanks for the help! It was a recipe from the Traeger app. I’m now reading reviews and it says that the time and temps are too low. Says people are cooking them at 225 and that its taking around 9hrs instead of 6.
I bumped it up to 225 and spraying them often with Dr. Pepper.

Thanks for the help! It was a recipe from the Traeger app. I’m now reading reviews and it says that the time and temps are too low. Says people are cooking them at 225 and that its taking around 9hrs instead of 6.
I bumped it up to 225 and spraying them often with Dr. Pepper.
You nailed the pathway to success. Bump the temp to at least 225F. There is a very thin line between smokey beef jerky (i.e., overly dehydrated) versus nice tender juicy ribs. Enjoy your cook.

You nailed the pathway to success. Bump the temp to at least 225F. There is a very thin line between smokey beef jerky (i.e., overly dehydrated) versus nice tender juicy ribs. Enjoy your cook.
LOL yeah even with spraying every 15-20 mins they’re starting to look like jerky. After almost 6hrs with 145 internal I decided to wrap them and bumped it up to 250. Put brown sugar, honey, a little ACV and some Dr. Pepper in the foil. I’m guessing another 2hrs at least to get a proper internal temp. Thanks again for everyone’s help!

Cook at 225 until they pass the bend test. Usually 5-6 hours. Remove and consume.

Bend Test.png

Cook at 225 until they pass the bend test. Usually 5-6 hours. Remove and consume.

View attachment 17282
That sounds like what I’m lookin’ for! I kept saying to myself “there’s got to be an easier way to make ribs”. I’m new to the grillin’ game so I’m in novice stage of learning what not to do. Also, I think Dr. Pepper doesn’t seem like the best spray for keeping the ribs moist, it was a suggestion from a neighbor. I think I’ll try apple juice or just plain water next time. Also, it seems like all the seasoning cooks off and just the saltiness and sweet stays. Not getting any other noticeable flavors.
Thanks again for all your help.

Last edited:
That sounds like what I’m lookin’ for! I kept saying to myself “there’s got to be an easier way to make ribs”. I’m new to the grillin’ game so I’m in novice stage of learning what not to do. Also, I think Dr. Pepper doesn’t seem like the best spray for keeping the ribs moist, it was a suggestion from a neighbor. I think I’ll try apple juice or just plain water next time. Also, it seems like all the seasoning cooks off and just the saltiness and sweet stays. Not getting any other noticeable flavors.
Take an antigen test. ;) 🤷‍♂️

They’re definitely smoked but cooked too long, they remind me of smoked salmon but chewier. The middle ones did turn out though. They’re not bad, but I’m starting to think “smoked” and “smokey” are two different things. Again, still learning.
3087C52A-6D00-45C8-ADFB-B52E4473217E.jpeg

Last edited:
Cooking two racks of spareribs at 200, started at noon and now its 3pm but the internal temp is only at 120.
Do I keep cooking them at 200 until they reach the 160 internal and then wrap as normal, or just wrap them now and cook at 225 until the 207 internal temp? I’ve been spraying them to keep them moist. Thanks for the help!
Depending on the weight Spares take 5-6 hours to cook at 225. I apply the rub about an hour prior and start a low smoke for 30 minutes and raise to 225. No wrap and check for probe tenderness with a toothpick or Thermapen. When the ribs are tender I glaze with sauce and let it set for 20 minutes.

I don't spritz them beyond about the point the bark looks good. So maybe no spritz past about 3-4 hours, even if not wrapping. Also, I spritz only 4-5 times and only after the bark starts to set up where it doesn't wipe off easily. Spritzing keeps cooling the meat down the more you do it and it delays the finish. Don't overdo it.

So, my understanding of the purpose of spritzing is that it cools and wets the surface of the meat and that allows smoke to accumulate in the wet layer and help penetrate the meat. There is also a chemical reaction of the smoke and water forming a compound that penetrates the meat and forms the smoke ring. So, you need moisture, the question is: how much? Well, the experts say smoke doesn't penetrate meat after the meat is above 145F. I dunno, but I stop spritzing up there somewhere.

I didn't spritz once on this brisket. https://www.recteqforum.com/threads/questions-on-buying-brisket.5891/post-81157

Last edited:
Apple cider vinegar has always worked well for me!

I think 225 is too low for ribs, I have been doing 250 with great results and that temp is what a vast majority of BBQ joints and pitmasters use for their ribs and pretty much all meat. Also refrain from opening the lid much at all, I spritz only every hour and I promise the ribs aren't as dry as they may look on the outside. ;) Also too much spritzing brings the internal temp down, with low and slow if your looking you ain't cooking.

I think 225 is too low for ribs, I have been doing 250 with great results and that temp is what a vast majority of BBQ joints and pitmasters use for their ribs and pretty much all meat. Also refrain from opening the lid much at all, I spritz only every hour and I promise the ribs aren't as dry as they may look on the outside. ;) Also too much spritzing brings the internal temp down, with low and slow if your looking you ain't cooking.
Alright, I’m gonna finally cook ribs again. Going to try the 250 and sprits every hour. Got frustrated the last time so I bought a Weber charcoal grill and been making burgers and chicken thighs, LOL. I’ll post an update once they’re done.

I’ve had pretty good results with St. Louis style ribs (Costco) using 225F and smoke tube. After removing the white membrane ( more art than science), I dry brine the night before with Dixie Crystals kosher salt which is flakes.

I use Meathead’s Memphis Rub ( https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/spice-rubs-and-pastes/meatheads-memphis-dust-rub-recipe/ ) with some small modifications.

Bring grill to 225, add lit smoke tube, add ribs. Come back in about 4.5 -5 hrs and check if ready-bend test works.

If you arrange the ribs back to front, pressing the ends of the slabs together a bit buys you more space and thickens the slabs a bit. Arrange thickest on the right thinnest on the left ( I use a 590). If slabs all about equal, you may want to swap left and right slabs at about three hrs so all finish at the same time.

Long reply, sorry

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back