Bull Considering purchasing the Bull but have questions

My two cents....

Seal: I think most guys on this site (and other bbq sites) like to "Tinker". I am guilty of it with cooking too. I make a slab of ribs and think they are the best i have ever had and my next thought is.."next time I will try"... Why would i try anything? Ha. It is because i link to tinker. I think the seal on the lid is the same. People have a great smoke and then think...how can i preserve a little more of the smoke. I have read it does keep a little grease build up off the lid. But, some guys will say it is a smoker not a piece of art... to each their own. My humble opinion is the 700 does not NEED a seal. If you want to add one.. so be it. I think RecTec has published that they think the airflow is better if it isn't sealed. But the fact guys are doing it should NOT impact your decision. It is a personal one not a flaw in the RecTec. I have not sealed and it is AMAZING!

Second...on the hopper. When i bought mine i was a rookie. I have moved from rookie to amateur. Ha. When i bought it i would fill the whole hopper up. 40lbs. Changing pellets was a hassle! I used a bucket vac to pull out the pellets to change wood types. I wished (often) that there was an easier hopper clean out. BUT... now that i am not a pure rookie, i have dialed my smokes in pretty well so that i can generally fill the hopper with what i need versus to the top. I now generally can add just about what i need for a pellet wood type and whatever is left i can cook off when i fire up the next cook. I generally have gotten to a point where i might have 5-10 mins of the old pellets left when i start my subsequent cook and can add right on top the wood type i want. I occasionally use the bucket lid vac. And, i know this might sound pretty loose, but I take the pellet type serious. I have six air tight 5 gallon buckets with different types. So, match my wood type on EVERY cook. It is easy once you get a feel for feed rates... what you need for a long cook... shorter cook, etc.

Pull the trigger... Like most everyone on this site.. You will have no regrets! I just told my wife yesterday i am not sure what else i have purchased where i got more ROI. We have used it 200+ times and still love it. Living in Michigan...i was sure the elements would start to beat the crap out of my Bull. And 2+ years after the buy and frankly it is a little dirtier, but i do not see 2+ years of wear, weather or performance!

My two cents....

Seal: I think most guys on this site (and other bbq sites) like to "Tinker". I am guilty of it with cooking too. I make a slab of ribs and think they are the best i have ever had and my next thought is.."next time I will try"... Why would i try anything? Ha. It is because i link to tinker. I think the seal on the lid is the same. People have a great smoke and then think...how can i preserve a little more of the smoke. I have read it does keep a little grease build up off the lid. But, some guys will say it is a smoker not a piece of art... to each their own. My humble opinion is the 700 does not NEED a seal. If you want to add one.. so be it. I think RecTec has published that they think the airflow is better if it isn't sealed. But the fact guys are doing it should NOT impact your decision. It is a personal one not a flaw in the RecTec. I have not sealed and it is AMAZING!

Second...on the hopper. When i bought mine i was a rookie. I have moved from rookie to amateur. Ha. When i bought it i would fill the whole hopper up. 40lbs. Changing pellets was a hassle! I used a bucket vac to pull out the pellets to change wood types. I wished (often) that there was an easier hopper clean out. BUT... now that i am not a pure rookie, i have dialed my smokes in pretty well so that i can generally fill the hopper with what i need versus to the top. I now generally can add just about what i need for a pellet wood type and whatever is left i can cook off when i fire up the next cook. I generally have gotten to a point where i might have 5-10 mins of the old pellets left when i start my subsequent cook and can add right on top the wood type i want. I occasionally use the bucket lid vac. And, i know this might sound pretty loose, but I take the pellet type serious. I have six air tight 5 gallon buckets with different types. So, match my wood type on EVERY cook. It is easy once you get a feel for feed rates... what you need for a long cook... shorter cook, etc.

Pull the trigger... Like most everyone on this site.. You will have no regrets! I just told my wife yesterday i am not sure what else i have purchased where i got more ROI. We have used it 200+ times and still love it. Living in Michigan...i was sure the elements would start to beat the crap out of my Bull. And 2+ years after the buy and frankly it is a little dirtier, but i do not see 2+ years of wear, weather or performance!

Do you keep yours covered? - Standard one from RT?

Anyone buy the larger cover (the one that fits the 700 w/ the smokebox) to make it easier to come on/off?
No, but am strongly considering making a slit in the cover and adding a velcro closure. ??

I have never had a problem with long low and slow cooks during the winter and getting enough smoke on the meat I am cooking. But again, I am one who likes the smoke profile from the pellet pit, and have not had a need to use alternative methods to increase the smoke flavor. We all have our preference. The main thing I notice is it does take longer to get up to temp, and during real cold days the fan may not turn off and on as much, but always has the smoke profile.
This is what I love about this site. We all have different styles and techniques to get to the same result...producing good Q. We are all willing to share our experience and help each other learn more to perfect the craft. Makes this site so much fun.

Wow, that's an excellent point. Thanks for sharing it. I didn't even consider that, but it makes perfect sense. Now, I'll definitely reassess some type of insulation. This is exactly why I joined this Rec Tec specic forum.........awesome!

Also, the door seal mod should help.

Thank you - excellent community here, very much appreciate it

One question here - did you seal the hood before using?

I'm not who you asked, but I used mine before sealing. Had to clean it good. If you plan on sealing, I'd certainly do it first. Just a lot of elbow grease to do after the fact.

I'm not who you asked, but I used mine before sealing. Had to clean it good. If you plan on sealing, I'd certainly do it first. Just a lot of elbow grease to do after the fact.
Amen, bother ??

My opinion on the seal is: Do It! It's not needed at all, it doesn't cost much, but it makes me feel good that my bbq stays nice. It didn't change the way it cooks nor change temperature control. It just keeps the stainless steel drum nice and clean. I cooked on my Bull for a few months before sealing it. It took a bit of cleaning to get it clean enough to seal. But it's staying much much cleaner now.

Best to do it when new. It will only take a few minutes if you don't have to clean the residue off.

I used this one and it fit easily and the lid closes nicely.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F9FE60K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I did the lid seal but only on the top and bottom edges of the lid using Fire Black, I left the sides unsealed and did it mainly to keep the grill cleaner.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200502-061727_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20200502-061727_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    424 KB · Views: 93

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back