Considering a 1070.

Freedom Forged

Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-680
I have a 7 yr old 680 that I'm planning to sell and replace it with a 1070 considering the sale RT is having right now.

Tell me why I shouldn't.......

Tell me why I should....

Or just give me any input you would want if you were buying one.

Thanks all!!!

All of my complaints are well documented once the 1070 section went up.
It's a solid grill, worth the $$.

Just make sure it's the right sized grill for you. The recteq site tells you how many ribs/wings/butts can go on at a time. It's accurate. I put the whole costco six-pack of thighs on the bottom shelf last night and had two sides bubbling along on the top shelf.

Most of my complaints were actually recteq/shipping related. The remainder probably are expectations that are maybe unreasonable in this price range. If I was shopping in the same price range, I'd probably buy the same grill again.

I think it is the best looking and best value. At the same time, the mechanics of the grill are well based in the 590. My only problems were:
1.Mild inaccuracy of Temps. Resolved with the Offset Option. It is now right on and does not fluctuate as much as many of its competitors. Easy to adjust. Other brands do not have option of control adjustment.
2. Has a more frequent tendency for post shut off auger smolders than the 590, and occasional hopper smoke due to several correctable (IMO) adjustments. Easy to correct and if done early, you won't have to anx over them. See my 1070 threads. I had no shipping problem.
Since the above adjustments, I have had great cooks at both low/slow temps and high heat. I have proved it will reach 700* but I really don't need that temp to sear well on GrillGrates. I have the Cabinet option and the storage capacity and maneuverability are great. The hidden grease tray is cool and a small aluminum bread pan fits perfectly, so there is no mess. Best of all, the RT service folks are always available if you have any trouble. Best grill I have owned. (Traeger, Blaz'n, RT 590, RT 380, Memphis Beale Street-- Beale Street was not up to Memphis standards.)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back