Bull Considering purchasing the Bull but have questions

capitalpro

Great site here, I think I've spent equal amounts of time working, on zoom calls, reading these threads and on youtube watching RT-700 videos.

I'm highly considering pulling the trigger on a new Bull, but before I drop $1,100 here I want to make sure I have a good understanding of a few issues. I greatly appreciate your thoughts here. For background I'm coming from a Masterbuilt electric smoker and want to get something larger, hotter and that I don't need to keep filling wood chips in so I can manager longer / overnight cooks. I have a gasser and no intentions of replacing it, but I don't think that I will use it for much other than burgers and searing steaks.

1. The door on the Bull seems to have sealing issues - before cooking is there a suggestion on how to handle this? Why isn't RT resolving this issue themselves instead of people buying products on Amazon to fix this?

2. What else should be purchased at the same time based on experience?

3. I really don't need the size of the Bull for my regular cooks but I don't like that the smaller models don't have a smokestack - Any ideas of the differences in efficiency of cooking on the Bull vs the Matador (or other similarly sized) based on the additional size?

4. I live in New England and plan to cook in the winter - I've read from Grilla that their product has thicker steel and does not need insulation - those of you that cook in the winter, did you have to buy the blanket / DIY a welding blanket setup?

5. The size of the Bull means that I'll need to keep it outside, I'll get a cover for it - is the RT cover the best or is there a better solution? (seems like RT should have a zipper on their cover and it should be waterproof at minimum)

6. I really appreciate the fact that the customer service is regarded as great, but I've also read that many people seem to be using the CS - are there issues with build quality?

7. How easy it to keep the outside looking clean?

8. I typically prefer Pecan/Apple wood depending on the meat - how often are pellets changed out - is it easy enough to do so?

9. Is the "low smoke flavor" issue a big one or minor - hard to tell without actually eating unfortunately. I seem to get good smoke flavor (maybe a bit too much) from my master-built

10. Does food take longer to cook on the RT than electric smokers? Also any idea how much longer would it take to cook grilled chicken vs on gasser?

Thank you

Great site here, I think I've spent equal amounts of time working, on zoom calls, reading these threads and on youtube watching RT-700 videos.

I'm highly considering pulling the trigger on a new Bull, but before I drop $1,100 here I want to make sure I have a good understanding of a few issues. I greatly appreciate your thoughts here. For background I'm coming from a Masterbuilt electric smoker and want to get something larger, hotter and that I don't need to keep filling wood chips in so I can manager longer / overnight cooks. I have a gasser and no intentions of replacing it, but I don't think that I will use it for much other than burgers and searing steaks.

1. The door on the Bull seems to have sealing issues - before cooking is there a suggestion on how to handle this? Why isn't RT resolving this issue themselves instead of people buying products on Amazon to fix this?

2. What else should be purchased at the same time based on experience?

3. I really don't need the size of the Bull for my regular cooks but I don't like that the smaller models don't have a smokestack - Any ideas of the differences in efficiency of cooking on the Bull vs the Matador (or other similarly sized) based on the additional size?

4. I live in New England and plan to cook in the winter - I've read from Grilla that their product has thicker steel and does not need insulation - those of you that cook in the winter, did you have to buy the blanket / DIY a welding blanket setup?

5. The size of the Bull means that I'll need to keep it outside, I'll get a cover for it - is the RT cover the best or is there a better solution? (seems like RT should have a zipper on their cover and it should be waterproof at minimum)

6. I really appreciate the fact that the customer service is regarded as great, but I've also read that many people seem to be using the CS - are there issues with build quality?

7. How easy it to keep the outside looking clean?

8. I typically prefer Pecan/Apple wood depending on the meat - how often are pellets changed out - is it easy enough to do so?

9. Is the "low smoke flavor" issue a big one or minor - hard to tell without actually eating unfortunately. I seem to get good smoke flavor (maybe a bit too much) from my master-built

10. Does food take longer to cook on the RT than electric smokers? Also any idea how much longer would it take to cook grilled chicken vs on gasser?

Thank you
Welcome to the forum. You got a ton of questions, all good ones. I'll do my best on some of them-
1. No issue sealing the lid. Some do, some don't. Not needed, keeps the top of the barrel cleaner.
2. I would suggest searing grate as a good accessory. Also the front shelf, good work space. Makes unit more versatile.
3. Bigger is better
4. The blanket is a good idea in really cold wether but only at low temps. Not meant for high temp cooks. I would wait and see if it is needed.
5. The RT is the best cover.
6. Customer service is excellent . People write because they want others to know.
7. Outside is easy to keep clean. Sealing the lid helps with that
8. The hopper holds 40 lbs. There is no change out chute. Can use a shop vac. I have a small one dedicated for use with the bull.
9. There is good smoke flavor. On low, 180 degrees, tons of smoke output. Higher temps, less smoke. Many start at low for a while then turn up the temp.
10. Time wise, i'm guessing similar times. The difference is you can control the temp from in the house and monitor the entire cook

Whew - Bottom line, Rec Tec is an amazing company with a great product. Do people occasionally have issues, yes, does Rec Tec step up and straighten them out, yes.

Go for it! ??

Welcome to the forum. You got a ton of questions, all good ones. I'll do my best on some of them-
1. No issue sealing the lid. Some do, some don't. Not needed, keeps the top of the barrel cleaner.
2. I would suggest searing grate as a good accessory. Also the front shelf, good work space. Makes unit more versatile.
3. Bigger is better
4. The blanket is a good idea in really cold wether but only at low temps. Not meant for high temp cooks. I would wait and see if it is needed.
5. The RT is the best cover.
6. Customer service is excellent . People write because they want others to know.
7. Outside is easy to keep clean. Sealing the lid helps with that
8. The hopper holds 40 lbs. There is no change out chute. Can use a shop vac. I have a small one dedicated for use with the bull.
9. There is good smoke flavor. On low, 180 degrees, tons of smoke output. Higher temps, less smoke. Many start at low for a while then turn up the temp.
10. Time wise, i'm guessing similar times. The difference is you can control the temp from in the house and monitor the entire cook

Whew - Bottom line, Rec Tec is an amazing company with a great product. Do people occasionally have issues, yes, does Rec Tec step up and straighten them out, yes.

Go for it! ??
Sounds like my explanation to the wife :)

Perfect answers to your questions and I agree with all. Was in your shoes 2 weeks ago Cap. Got my Bull on Tuesday and have used it 3 times, (raining during 2 of them lol). You won’t regret anything. This might be top 5 purchase I’ve ever made, it’s so great!

I agree on the answers already given.

I also used an MES prior to getting the RT-700. And I upgraded for similar reasons, although using an AMNPS helped get away from reloading chips all the time. Haven't looked back since getting the RT, and wind up smoking more often. Still own the MES but haven't taken the cover off since the RT arrived.

I was looking at both Rec Tec and Grilla. I went Rec Tec for many of the reasons stated above, plus the WiFi controller is awesome
I live in WI and bought a felt welding blanket that I will cut and fit to the grill in the fall.

As for the size of the 700, the normally used area is smaller than the grates. It's the size of the drip tray. If you hang meat past the edge of the drip tray, it will cook much faster/burn there and drip rendered fats down in the barrel.

While the 700 has a 20" diameter x 36" long barrel, the grates are only 19 1/2" x 33 1/4". But that's not really the practical cooking area. The drip tray is only 15 3/4" wide and you loose another 1/2" not protected by the drip tray lengthwise, so you have 15 3/4" by 32 3/4" cooking area on the main grate. Such is the nature of pellet grills. I came from a 20 x 36 offset where all of the grate could be used. It's a deceptive perception when you look at the overall size.

I agree with everything gotbbq answered. One question I will give a little more info. I live in NJ where we do have cold wet winters. Over the four years I have had the pit I have cooked all year round. In the snow, rain, bitter cold temps, and I have never used a "blanket" on the pit. Yes it takes a little longer to come up in temp.

I agree with everything gotbbq answered. One question I will give a little more info. I live in NJ where we do have cold wet winters. Over the four years I have had the pit I have cooked all year round. In the snow, rain, bitter cold temps, and I have never used a "blanket" on the pit. Yes it takes a little longer to come up in temp.
Good info cookingjnj......I'm definitely not a fair weather cooker either. I'm gonna work my Bull hard all year 'round for sure. Blankets and or the covers are more work than I'm inclined to put up with. Not to mention how my Bull sweats cooking grease from the lid, top and bottom. Can't see that faring well with any type of cover whatsoever. I would assume pellet consumption must be considerable the closer to zero you get? Gonna find out on an overnight cook tonight. Mid to upper 30's here in South Central Bartertown.....cost of good BBQ I guess! :D

Last edited:
Thank you - excellent community here, very much appreciate it

Perfect answers to your questions and I agree with all. Was in your shoes 2 weeks ago Cap. Got my Bull on Tuesday and have used it 3 times, (raining during 2 of them lol). You won’t regret anything. This might be top 5 purchase I’ve ever made, it’s so great!
One question here - did you seal the hood before using?

Good info cookingjnj......I'm definitely not a fair weather cooker either. I'm gonna work my Bull hard all year 'round for sure. Blankets and or the covers are more work than I'm inclined to put up with. Not to mention how my Bull sweats cooking grease from the lid, top and bottom. Can't see that faring well with any type of cover whatsoever. I would assume pellet consumption must be considerable the closer to zero you get? Gonna find out on an overnight cook tonight. Mid to upper 30's here in South Central Bartertown.....cost of good BBQ I guess! :D

It seems to me, when the ambient temp is low, the burner has to work like it was running higher temps in warmer weather. So the burner will be blowing more air and running more pellets in cold weather. If so, any given set temp in cold weather will generate less smoke than the same set temp in warm weather...unless you run some kind of insulation.... Something to think about.

Thank you - excellent community here, very much appreciate it

One question here - did you seal the hood before using?
I did after 2nd cook. Would have been better before I started but didn’t know. Only got a little dirty. ??

It seems to me, when the ambient temp is low, the burner has to work like it was running higher temps in warmer weather. So the burner will be blowing more air and running more pellets in cold weather. If so, any given set temp in cold weather will generate less smoke than the same set temp in warm weather...unless you run some kind of insulation.... Something to think about.
Wow, that's an excellent point. Thanks for sharing it. I didn't even consider that, but it makes perfect sense. Now, I'll definitely reassess some type of insulation. This is exactly why I joined this Rec Tec specic forum.........awesome!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrzBBQ
Back