Pork Competition Pork Butt

jcellio1986

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Got a recipe question for the group. I've made the Competition Pork Butt recipe that used to be on the recteq website several times before and never did the braise. Well the last time I did one was back in June of last year and I used the braise and it was great! Well I'm getting ready to cook some butts for my dad's retirement party in a month and the recipe has been removed from the site! I remember the braise had agave syrup, apple juice, apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, bbq sauce, worcestershire sauce, and jalapeno jelly but don't recall the exact amounts of each ingredient. I have the injection quantities and ingredients just not the braise. Does anyone happen to have that recipe written down anywhere? If so would you be willing to share it?? Thanks in advance!!

Maybe if you contacted Recteq, they could send you a copy of the recipe. Just a thought.

Maybe if you contacted Recteq, they could send you a copy of the recipe. Just a thought.
I tried that first and no luck. They said they couldn't locate the recipe for whatever reason. I also had contacted them about another recipe that had been removed and luckily they located it.

Got a recipe question for the group. I've made the Competition Pork Butt recipe that used to be on the recteq website several times before and never did the braise. Well the last time I did one was back in June of last year and I used the braise and it was great! Well I'm getting ready to cook some butts for my dad's retirement party in a month and the recipe has been removed from the site! I remember the braise had agave syrup, apple juice, apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, bbq sauce, worcestershire sauce, and jalapeno jelly but don't recall the exact amounts of each ingredient. I have the injection quantities and ingredients just not the braise. Does anyone happen to have that recipe written down anywhere? If so would you be willing to share it?? Thanks in advance!!
If and when you find it, please share. Recipe sounds really good.

I found a reference to the recipe, but the link was dead. Is this a similar recipe, by any chance? There’s some evidence that this recipe may be nearly identical.

Competition Pork- Serious Eats

Last edited:
Hmm. The conspiracy theorist in me has questions about why RT "can't find" it. 🤔

Hmm. The conspiracy theorist in me has questions about why RT "can't find" it. 🤔
I said the same thing. Even got a phone call from Chef Greg over there and he was like oh yeah I remember that recipe, but would NOT give me the exact ingredients, seemed to dodge it altogether LOL

Found this on Youtube

Tried the wayback machine but rec tec comes up as a film production company.
Tried that too LOL, but IPlayWithMeat found the recipe for me! Going to have to write it down before it disappears from here too LOL

Tried that too LOL, but IPlayWithMeat found the recipe for me! Going to have to write it down before it disappears from here too LOL
I’m happy that it’s the correct recipe! Now it’s posted here, too, just in case the original web page disappears. 😃

Recipe Courtesy of Joshua Bousel and
seriouseats.com:

Competition Barbecue Pork Shoulder Recipe

Ingredients

• For the Braise:
  • 3/4 cup apple juice
  • 1/4 cup cider vinegar
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup your favorite barbecue sauce
  • 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 tablespoons agave syrup
  • 2 tablespoons jalapeño jelly
  • For the Injection:
  • 1/2 cup apple juice
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
  • 3 tablespoons water
  • 2 tablespoons Kosher salt
  • 1 Boston pork butt (about 8 pounds)
  • 3/4 cup barbecue rub
  • 2-3 fist sized chunks of medium smoking wood, like oak or hickory
  • Type of fire: Indirect
  • Grill heat: Low

Directions​

1. To make the braise: In a medium bowl, whisk together apple juice, vinegar, brown sugar, barbecue sauce, Worcestershire sauce, agave, and jalapeño jelly. Cover and set aside until ready to use.
    2. To make the injection: In a medium bowl, whisk together apple juice, brown sugar, vinegar, water, Worcestershire sauce, and salt. Using an injection syringe, inject the pork at 1-inch intervals, using the entire injection solution. Pat pork dry with paper towels.
    3. Evenly coat pork shoulder with barbecue rub all over.
    4. Fire up smoker or grill to 225°F, adding chunks of smoking wood when at temperature. When the wood is ignited and producing smoke, place pork butts in smoker or grill and smoke until the outside has turned a deep mahogany color, 5 to 7 hours. Place pork butt on a piece of extra-large heavy duty aluminum foil with sides folded upwards. Pour 1 cup of the braise over pork butt. Reserve remaining braise. Seal foil around pork, wrapping with additional pieces as needed, and place back in the smoker. Continue to cook until internal temperature registers 198°F on an instant read thermometer.
    5. Remove pork from smoker, open foil, and let vent for 15 to 30 minutes. Pull pork into chunks and place in a medium pan, reserving braise and discarding bone. Pour reserved braise over pulled pork and mix together to full distribute braise. Add additional braise to taste. Serve immediately.

I’m happy that it’s the correct recipe! Now it’s posted here, too, just in case the original web page disappears. 😃

seriouseats.com:

Ingredients

• For the Braise:
  • 3/4 cup apple juice
  • 1/4 cup cider vinegar
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • For the Injection:
  • 1/2 cup apple juice
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 3 tablespoons water
  • 3/4 cup barbecue rub

Directions​

1. To make the braise: In a medium bowl, whisk together apple juice, vinegar, brown sugar, barbecue sauce, Worcestershire sauce, agave, and jalapeño jelly. Cover and set aside until ready to use.
    2. To make the injection: In a medium bowl, whisk together apple juice, brown sugar, vinegar, water, Worcestershire sauce, and salt. Using an injection syringe, inject the pork at 1-inch intervals, using the entire injection solution. Pat pork dry with paper towels.
    4. Fire up smoker or grill to 225°F, adding chunks of smoking wood when at temperature. When the wood is ignited and producing smoke, place pork butts in smoker or grill and smoke until the outside has turned a deep mahogany color, 5 to 7 hours. Place pork butt on a piece of extra-large heavy duty aluminum foil with sides folded upwards. Pour 1 cup of the braise over pork butt. Reserve remaining braise. Seal foil around pork, wrapping with additional pieces as needed, and place back in the smoker. Continue to cook until internal temperature registers 198°F on an instant read thermometer.
    5. Remove pork from smoker, open foil, and let vent for 15 to 30 minutes. Pull pork into chunks and place in a medium pan, reserving braise and discarding bone. Pour reserved braise over pulled pork and mix together to full distribute braise. Add additional braise to taste. Serve immediately.
With the high price of meats, can I substitute dog or cat for pig?

seriouseats.com:

Ingredients

• For the Braise:
  • 3/4 cup apple juice
  • 1/4 cup cider vinegar
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • For the Injection:
  • 1/2 cup apple juice
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 3 tablespoons water
  • 3/4 cup barbecue rub

Directions​

Just in case, I have saved a PDF copy into my recipe folder.

Here you go. One old man habit is to hard copy everything that is important. And this recipe is important to me- the way I do butts 90% of the time. You can tell by the spatter stains.
B7F4FCCA-02BE-45CE-B75F-19B92EEAF65B.jpeg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan Hollister
Back