RT-1250 Cleaning and magnets

bigboatBBQ

Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-1250
Hello everyone!

I ordered my 1250 last night, hopefully in 10-14 days I'll have my new cooker! I can't wait! Upgrading from a Traeger Lil Tex 22. It's been a great cooker, I have it dialed in and been happy with it but want something a little bigger for the 2-5 times a year when I'm cooking for more than my family. I'm going to keep it and turn it into a sear station with the smoke daddy sear station.

I have a couple-three questions for the more experienced/initiated. 1) I normally vacuum out every 15-30 hours, roughly. Is that a similar number for the 1250? 2) what do you use to keep the outside of the grill clean other than a cover? 3) Is the hopper or any other area of the grill magnetic? I have some additional utensil hooks and magnets that I'd like to use on the 1250.

If any of these are answered other places, I missed them. I did try a search. Feel free to point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

Smoke on Rec Teq Mafia!

Hello everyone!

I ordered my 1250 last night, hopefully in 10-14 days I'll have my new cooker! I can't wait! Upgrading from a Traeger Lil Tex 22. It's been a great cooker, I have it dialed in and been happy with it but want something a little bigger for the 2-5 times a year when I'm cooking for more than my family. I'm going to keep it and turn it into a sear station with the smoke daddy sear station.

I have a couple-three questions for the more experienced/initiated. 1) I normally vacuum out every 15-30 hours, roughly. Is that a similar number for the 1250? 2) what do you use to keep the outside of the grill clean other than a cover? 3) Is the hopper or any other area of the grill magnetic? I have some additional utensil hooks and magnets that I'd like to use on the 1250.

If any of these are answered other places, I missed them. I did try a search. Feel free to point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

Smoke on Rec Teq Mafia!
Vacuum fire pot as needed.
Hanging area is on left side of grill.
Cameo by Brillo was the last suggested by RT

Welcome aboard and enjoy the grill.

I clean out the fire pot when I change the foil on the drip pan.
I have not yet vacuumed out the ash in the bottom. Acting as insulation right now.
Yes you will find areas that are magnetic for your hooks.
Inside my hopper lid I use magnet labels that tell me what pellets are in there so I don't have to remember.
I'm not too picky about keeping it looking new. I use stainless steel cleaner/polish.

Welcome to the family :D(y)

My two cents...

I usually clean out the fire pot before or after a long cook. I just eyeball under the drip pan to see how things look. Some pellets definitely creat more ash than others.

The 1250 does have hooks on the side shelf/controller box. Magnets would probably work there as well, but I haven't tried.

Before I installed Lavalock tape to the lid, i cleaned the stainless steel with Barkeeper's Friend and a sponge. After taping the lid, I get virtually no smoke stains so a basic wipedown is all that's required...and I tend not to worry too much about it.

I'm sure you'll enjoy the 1250. I've been coming up with excuses to use it multiple times a week.

I agree with Pac-Man. Order the lava lock from Amazon while your grill is being shipped that way you won’t have to deal with smoke stains. Wipe down your grill with alcohol before your burn in to prevent stains from manufacturers hand prints and oil, then after burn in wipe it with a good stainless steel polish and wax the powder coated black areas. Then your good to go and will just need to wipe of grease and dust. The 1250 is a great choice. I would also encourage you to consider the Bullseye for a quick cook grill and it gets very hot for great seers. It might be a better and cheaper option instead of converting your old grill. They are doing a bundle price on them with the 1250 of $100 off. I’m sure they would still give you that option.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dkroll
Back