Stampede Chuck Roast

Poor mans burnt ends? I tend to see chuck as being more than whole packers. I think Brisket is becoming the poor mans cook, as of late. I get great tressults in dry brining overnight with a good rub and anywhere from 6-8 hours at 225, with a wrap usually near the middle. I like to add a couple tbl spoons of butter and a little AP juice in during the wrap, which is with butchers paper.
I, like you dry brine all my beef as well and same thing. Great results

I haven't looked at a CR or PB in a hot minute so wouldnt know what prices are on them right now. I would expect them both to over priced just like every other cut of beef right now...

Sorry OP, not trying to hijack your post...

When I do chuck roast in the smoker, I only do it as “poor mans burnt ends”. I use Malcom Reed’s recipe.
Cubed and dry rubbed. In the smoker on a rack at 275* for 2 hours or so. Then into a pan with a mix of 1 cup bbq sauce and 1/2 cup beef broth. Cover tightly and braise for about 2 more hours. Uncover and let the sauce set in the smoker for about 30 min. All at 275*. Melt in your mouth nuggets of beef j
I cooked some CR for Pulled Beef Sammies a few months back. There should be a Post titled "Chuck Roast" including pics. Here was my take on making it....
  • Trim the roast to take off some of the excess and hard fat, along with some of the silver skin
  • Rubbed both roast with a little Worcestershire Sauce then liberally apply Montreal Steak Seasoning wrap and keep in fridge overnight
  • Take roast out of fridge to come to temp while pit comes to life and settles in at 225
  • Put roast in the pit at 225 directly on the grates (I also used extreme smoke function on my 680) and let the smoke do its magic for 4 hours.
  • Cut two onions (one for each pan) and one red pepper (half for each pan) and make a bed in each pan.
  • After the roast have been on for 3-4 hours (depending on what bark you like) take off the pit and place one in each foil pan on top of onion/pepper bed. 3# roast will probably be between 150-160 internal. Mine were at 150.
  • Pour two beers around the outside of the roast in the pan. I used IPA since it is what I had with a little more flavor. You could also use a stout or darker beer with flavor.
  • Pour about 1/2 cup of beef broth in each pan.
  • Put pans back in the smoker uncovered. Smoker still at 225. Keep in the smoker about 2 hours, or however long you would like.
  • Pull pans and now cover tightly with aluminum foil and back into the pit. I kept my pit at 225, you can raise temps to quicken cook. Pans should stay in the pit until roast record internal of 205. Mine was just short of 3 hours.
  • Pull pans from pit and pull roast from pans. Wrap roast in foil and FTC for at least an hour. While the roast are FTC, you can cool down the liquids they braised in to separate some of the fat. I had my roast FTC about 1.5 hours waiting for dinner time.
  • Take roast from wrapped foil and using two forks (or however works for you), pull the beef into goodness. Was a little tougher to pull than pork, but still pulled pretty easily. I added a little bit of the juices back in after pulling to add a bit more moisture, not that it needed much more.
I did sammies -- Sliced Portuguese Roll -- Shredded Colby Jack and Monterey cheeses, horseradish sauce, shredded beef and topped with a Sweet and Tangy BBQ sauce. I did just the beef, my wife and son added some of the onion as well. Enjoy!

All I have to say is Wow! If you have not tried pulled Chuck Roast, put it on your agenda for a future long cook. Making two roast means plenty of left overs...best part since the smoke flavor is always better the next day.

Pics
What is FTC

I cooked some CR for Pulled Beef Sammies a few months back. There should be a Post titled "Chuck Roast" including pics. Here was my take on making it....
  • Trim the roast to take off some of the excess and hard fat, along with some of the silver skin
  • Rubbed both roast with a little Worcestershire Sauce then liberally apply Montreal Steak Seasoning wrap and keep in fridge overnight
  • Take roast out of fridge to come to temp while pit comes to life and settles in at 225
  • Put roast in the pit at 225 directly on the grates (I also used extreme smoke function on my 680) and let the smoke do its magic for 4 hours.
  • Cut two onions (one for each pan) and one red pepper (half for each pan) and make a bed in each pan.
  • After the roast have been on for 3-4 hours (depending on what bark you like) take off the pit and place one in each foil pan on top of onion/pepper bed. 3# roast will probably be between 150-160 internal. Mine were at 150.
  • Pour two beers around the outside of the roast in the pan. I used IPA since it is what I had with a little more flavor. You could also use a stout or darker beer with flavor.
  • Pour about 1/2 cup of beef broth in each pan.
  • Put pans back in the smoker uncovered. Smoker still at 225. Keep in the smoker about 2 hours, or however long you would like.
  • Pull pans and now cover tightly with aluminum foil and back into the pit. I kept my pit at 225, you can raise temps to quicken cook. Pans should stay in the pit until roast record internal of 205. Mine was just short of 3 hours.
  • Pull pans from pit and pull roast from pans. Wrap roast in foil and FTC for at least an hour. While the roast are FTC, you can cool down the liquids they braised in to separate some of the fat. I had my roast FTC about 1.5 hours waiting for dinner time.
  • Take roast from wrapped foil and using two forks (or however works for you), pull the beef into goodness. Was a little tougher to pull than pork, but still pulled pretty easily. I added a little bit of the juices back in after pulling to add a bit more moisture, not that it needed much more.
I did sammies -- Sliced Portuguese Roll -- Shredded Colby Jack and Monterey cheeses, horseradish sauce, shredded beef and topped with a Sweet and Tangy BBQ sauce. I did just the beef, my wife and son added some of the onion as well. Enjoy!

All I have to say is Wow! If you have not tried pulled Chuck Roast, put it on your agenda for a future long cook. Making two roast means plenty of left overs...best part since the smoke flavor is always better the next day.

Pics
Okay, I trust you purchased the beer as a 6 pack, what happened to the other 4 beers???

What I do is pretty simple. I don't put anything on the roast and smoke it for 3, maybe 4 hours at the lowest temp to get the most smoke. I take it off, put it in the InstantPot with onion soup mix, beef broth on high for like 3 hours. If you want vegetables you could throw them in there at the end for not much time. I prefer to have my roast with garlic mashed potatoes. Since you don't really impart any more smoke flavor after a few hours, it doesn't make much sense to waste pellets since these need to be cooked for a long time so I speed up the process with the InstantPot.

HELP How do you guys do chuck roast Ive ruined 2 they both where extremely dry and unfit to eat
I know that I’m late to the party, but I’m another person that is much happier with the results that I get with a Chuck roast than with packers. For starters, Chuck roasts are a uniform thickness so the meat cooks to a more uniform temperature. I always ask for 4 pound roasts but they usually underestimate and I end up with roasts that are about 3 3/4 pounds. I cook two at a time on my 590. Doesn’t take any more time and very little more work. Your trimming loss will be much less than with a packer. An hour before cooking I take the meat out and coat with Worcestershire sauce. Fifteen minutes before cooking I rub with a simple rub of salt, pepper, garlic powder and celery seed. I then smoke at 225 on a rack over a water pan, spraying hourly with a coffee porter. Usually takes me a little over 7 hours to get the meat temperature up to 155-160. I move the roasts to a foil covered pan with about 2 cups of the coffee porter and 2 bay leaves. I typically take the meat temperature to 205 which is the way I do pork shoulders. Rest covered in a cooler for an hour and you’re done. Put a bunch of this in your next batch of chili and you will never make chili any other way.

I put mine on the smoker naked for 3 hours or so at the lowest setting to get the most smoke. I take it off, put it in the InstantPot on High for 3 hours or so with beef stock and onion soup mix. You can add vegetables at the very end so they don't get too limp. I like my roast with garlic mashed potatoes and green beans or carrots that I steam.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back