Chuck Roast

Cirhere

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
HELP How do you guys do chuck roast Ive ruined 2 they both where extremely dry and unfit to eat

I dont know how your doing it but heres how I do mine.

Rub with your favorite rub
Set smoker to 225
Spirits every hour with 1 cup of beef broth
Smoke to internal temp of 165 (stalls at 155-165)
Once at 165 place roast in deep allium pan with 2 cups of beef broth and onions and then cover the pan tightly with foil
Increase cooking temp to 205
Continue cooking until internal roast temp is 200-205
Once temp hits magic number or roast is tender pull the pan out and let it rest for 15 to 20 min

205 = shredded
180-ish = sliced

Last edited:
Very helpful, Im going to try a chuck roast this weekend. Can you comment on expected cook times, start to wrap and then to finish?

Ditto what ndfan6464 said. May be blasphemous, but I usually prefer chuck over brisket for its ease of cooking, and treat it basically like pork butt. Lots more fat than a brisket and much more forgiving, just like pork butt. Like most smoked meats, expected time is ballpark because every piece is different, but typically 1 to 1.5 hr per lb. I think the most helpful key for me (and ndfan6464 noted, too) once it hits the stall is to put it in an aluminum pan with some liquid and tightly cover with foil. For me that’s easier than wrapping with butcher paper and keeps the precious juices better, but same idea. I tend to do this a bit earlier, around ~155-160 deg if it stalls there. I also sometimes keep the roast on a small roasting rack in the pan right from the beginning to keep it above the juices to maintain the bark, but that’s personal preference. Good luck, and let us know how your next one turns out!

The Mississippi Pot Roast is also a great method for cooking a chuck roast-I’ve posted one or two of my cooks here, and I don’t know if I will ever cook a chuck differently again. It’s not all that different from what is already mentioned in this thread, other than almost the entire cook is in a pan with liquid.

Ditto what ndfan6464 said. May be blasphemous, but I usually prefer chuck over brisket for its ease of cooking, and treat it basically like pork butt. Lots more fat than a brisket and much more forgiving, just like pork butt. Like most smoked meats, expected time is ballpark because every piece is different, but typically 1 to 1.5 hr per lb. I think the most helpful key for me (and ndfan6464 noted, too) once it hits the stall is to put it in an aluminum pan with some liquid and tightly cover with foil. For me that’s easier than wrapping with butcher paper and keeps the precious juices better, but same idea. I tend to do this a bit earlier, around ~155-160 deg if it stalls there. I also sometimes keep the roast on a small roasting rack in the pan right from the beginning to keep it above the juices to maintain the bark, but that’s personal preference. Good luck, and let us know how your next one turns out!
The nice thing with chuck is the size. I hate to cook a whole brisket for two people.

I will have to do better on selecting quality meat and perfecting my cooks.

I dont know how your doing it but heres how I do mine.

Rub with your favorite rub
Set smoker to 225
Spirits every hour with 1 cup of beef broth
Smoke to internal temp of 165 (stalls at 155-165)
Once at 165 place roast in deep allium pan with 2 cups of beef broth and onions and then cover the pan tightly with foil
Increase cooking temp to 205
Continue cooking until internal roast temp is 200-2002
Once temp hits magic number or roast is tender pull the pan out and let it rest for 15 to 20 min

205 = shredded
180-ish = sliced
200-2002 internal temp? What a range!

When I do chuck roast in the smoker, I only do it as “poor mans burnt ends”. I use Malcom Reed’s recipe.
Cubed and dry rubbed. In the smoker on a rack at 275* for 2 hours or so. Then into a pan with a mix of 1 cup bbq sauce and 1/2 cup beef broth. Cover tightly and braise for about 2 more hours. Uncover and let the sauce set in the smoker for about 30 min. All at 275*. Melt in your mouth nuggets of beef joy.

When I do chuck roast in the smoker, I only do it as “poor mans burnt ends”. I use Malcom Reed’s recipe.
Cubed and dry rubbed. In the smoker on a rack at 275* for 2 hours or so. Then into a pan with a mix of 1 cup bbq sauce and 1/2 cup beef broth. Cover tightly and braise for about 2 more hours. Uncover and let the sauce set in the smoker for about 30 min. All at 275*. Melt in your mouth nuggets of beef joy.
What kind of rack? You cube the meat for initial cook?
Thanks.

What kind of rack? You cube the meat for initial cook?
Thanks.
Any kind of grill rack that will allow smoke to travel through. Yes cube it from the start. Initial smoke forward.

Attachments

• 4B1F532F-E5D7-4E10-BEB6-09B07BCBA01B.jpeg
    4B1F532F-E5D7-4E10-BEB6-09B07BCBA01B.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 92
  • 82AF728D-CCC2-44A2-AA98-DF5FA571DCD6.jpeg
    82AF728D-CCC2-44A2-AA98-DF5FA571DCD6.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 100
  • 6E645ACF-10DE-4F6F-8708-AC9C6AA126C4.jpeg
    6E645ACF-10DE-4F6F-8708-AC9C6AA126C4.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 87
Any kind of grill rack that will allow smoke to travel through. Yes cube it from the start. Initial smoke forward.
Looks great, thanks for explaining and the pics.

I've never tried the poor mans burnt ends using a roast...have to give it a try...
Poor mans burnt ends? I tend to see chuck as being more than whole packers. I think Brisket is becoming the poor mans cook, as of late. I get great tressults in dry brining overnight with a good rub and anywhere from 6-8 hours at 225, with a wrap usually near the middle. I like to add a couple tbl spoons of butter and a little AP juice in during the wrap, which is with butchers paper.

I cooked some CR for Pulled Beef Sammies a few months back. There should be a Post titled "Chuck Roast" including pics. Here was my take on making it....
  • Trim the roast to take off some of the excess and hard fat, along with some of the silver skin
  • Rubbed both roast with a little Worcestershire Sauce then liberally apply Montreal Steak Seasoning wrap and keep in fridge overnight
  • Take roast out of fridge to come to temp while pit comes to life and settles in at 225
  • Put roast in the pit at 225 directly on the grates (I also used extreme smoke function on my 680) and let the smoke do its magic for 4 hours.
  • Cut two onions (one for each pan) and one red pepper (half for each pan) and make a bed in each pan.
  • After the roast have been on for 3-4 hours (depending on what bark you like) take off the pit and place one in each foil pan on top of onion/pepper bed. 3# roast will probably be between 150-160 internal. Mine were at 150.
  • Pour two beers around the outside of the roast in the pan. I used IPA since it is what I had with a little more flavor. You could also use a stout or darker beer with flavor.
  • Pour about 1/2 cup of beef broth in each pan.
  • Put pans back in the smoker uncovered. Smoker still at 225. Keep in the smoker about 2 hours, or however long you would like.
  • Pull pans and now cover tightly with aluminum foil and back into the pit. I kept my pit at 225, you can raise temps to quicken cook. Pans should stay in the pit until roast record internal of 205. Mine was just short of 3 hours.
  • Pull pans from pit and pull roast from pans. Wrap roast in foil and FTC for at least an hour. While the roast are FTC, you can cool down the liquids they braised in to separate some of the fat. I had my roast FTC about 1.5 hours waiting for dinner time.
  • Take roast from wrapped foil and using two forks (or however works for you), pull the beef into goodness. Was a little tougher to pull than pork, but still pulled pretty easily. I added a little bit of the juices back in after pulling to add a bit more moisture, not that it needed much more.
I did sammies -- Sliced Portuguese Roll -- Shredded Colby Jack and Monterey cheeses, horseradish sauce, shredded beef and topped with a Sweet and Tangy BBQ sauce. I did just the beef, my wife and son added some of the onion as well. Enjoy!

All I have to say is Wow! If you have not tried pulled Chuck Roast, put it on your agenda for a future long cook. Making two roast means plenty of left overs...best part since the smoke flavor is always better the next day.

Pics

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Back