Chuck Roast

Gonefishin

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
I’ve been reading that a number of folks are using chuck instead of brisket and figured I’d try it. Picked up a 3.t lb chuck today to cook tomorrow, can someone who does such let me know the time and temp you used? I’m thinking 225 for 7 or 8 hrs?

I do it pretty much like I do brisket. An hour or so at 180 then 225 the rest of the way unless I need to hurry it up. I’ve had a couple start to dry out so I wrapped those but usually run them naked.

I have done chuck to try it out... I smoked it the same way I do Brisket. Tasted very good. Good luck with your project. :)

Just like brisket the way I do them. They are generally smaller cook quicker. But same temp philosophy. Wrap em at 165 170. Problem has become they are not much cheaper than brisket, at least in Ohio. So I'll just go brisket

Thanks, but roughly how long to cook? Is 7-8 hrs a good guess? A brisket for me takes like 14 or so hours, big difference.

Thanks, but roughly how long to cook? Is 7-8 hrs a good guess? A brisket for me takes like 14 or so hours, big difference.
I’ve had 7-9 hours on that size multiple times bud.

I’ve been reading that a number of folks are using chuck instead of brisket and figured I’d try it. Picked up a 3.t lb chuck today to cook tomorrow, can someone who does such let me know the time and temp you used? I’m thinking 225 for 7 or 8 hrs?
I've done a good amount of Chuck Roasts. I found wrapping at 160 and pulling off around 190 works best for me. Still get a great bark and the roast falls apart. I rest it for about 2 hrs. If you wrap in foil, open the foil a bit so it doesn't keep cooking and dry it out. I find the Chuck roasts are less forgiving than Brisket if it gets over 200...

I just cooked two 3.5 lbs chuck roasts on Friday at 225. put both in a foil pan and covered around 160 (based on bark and temp). Cooked to 195, took 7hrs and 15 minutes plus rest time

The results

IMG_2888.jpeg

IMG_2889.jpeg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back