Off Day 2= Chuck Roast experiment

FreakDawg76

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
3.5 lb Chuck gong on at “extreme smoke” for a few hours…. Then wrap at 165 and raise temp… yall know the drill

IMG_2388.jpeg

Wrap based off the bark, not the temp. If that is 165, great, if that is 180, then great.

3.5 lb Chuck gong on at “extreme smoke” for a few hours…. Then wrap at 165 and raise temp… yall know the drill

View attachment 20249
I’m curious how you serve the finished product? Sliced like brisket? Or pull/shred it? And what sides do you typically serve with it?

I’ve done Chuck roasts like brisket and thoroughly enjoyed it. I call it poor man’s brisket. 🤭

I’m curious how you serve the finished product? Sliced like brisket? Or pull/shred it? And what sides do you typically serve with it?

I’ve done Chuck roasts like brisket and thoroughly enjoyed it. I call it poor man’s brisket. 🤭
Not even sure on sides… I just wanna make sure the damn thing gets done today lol..

I did a low-and-slow chuck roast last weekend, along with a brisket. The chuck roast turned out to be the star of the show; juicy and very flavorful. The brisket was very good, but not great.

Chuck roasts are great for low-and-slow cooks.

For those chuck roast cooks that don't make the grade or if you have leftovers try the attached recipe.

I overcooked a CR and salvaged the day with this stew. Actually not sure I won't use part of a smoked CR in this on a regular basis.

Attachments

• Leftover Roast Beef Stew - Kalyn's Kitchen.pdf
    94.2 KB · Views: 102
I’m having trouble with concept of Chuck Roast being the poor man’s brisket. Here in middle GA, Kroger has brisket on sale for $2.99 /lb this week. They routinely put it on sale for $1.99 /lb. Chuck roast is on sale this week for $6.99 /lb.

I’m having trouble with concept of Chuck Roast being the poor man’s brisket. Here in middle GA, Kroger has brisket on sale for $2.99 /lb this week. They routinely put it on sale for $1.99 /lb. Chuck roast is on sale this week for $6.99 /lb.
I think people are looking at overall price vs per pound price. A small packer brisket is in the 9-10 pound range (when you can find one) where chuck roasts can be 3-4 pounds. IME, a partial brisket—point or flat—is significantly more expensive per pound.

If you are just a single person or couple, a full packer brisket makes multiple meals. And—yes—I know you can freeze leftover portions, but not everyone has the capability or desire to do that. OTOH, a 3-4 pound chuck roast is easier for those folks to deal with.

YMMV

Brisket here is $4.98 per pound. At $1.99 it would definitely be brisket time, I can't get hamburger at that price

Cheaper here in Ohio, and they are much more forgiving and easier to cook than a brisket........oh man are they good too. :)

Brisket here is $4.98 per pound. At $1.99 it would definitely be brisket time, I can't get hamburger at that price
Yeah, I bought two. May have bought more but I was running out of freezer space. So, I bought a new freezer! :)

If anyone in middle GA wants a 5.5 cubic foot chest freezer, I know where you can get a good 3 year old one at a good price.

I have the best luck braising briskets in their own fat along with some beef broth. I freeze the fat for future cooks. I love chuck roasts low and slow on any of my recteq grills. Now I am craving beef...TY :)

Wow!!! I get your point.

$2.99 brisket at Costco yesterday. At that price I may even grind it for sausage or burgers.

$2.99 brisket at Costco yesterday. At that price I may even grind it for sausage or burgers.
I do that all the time. Not for sausage, but 99% of my ground beef comes from on-sale brisket from Costco. Same for pork. A good meat grinder and vac sealer are some of my best friends in the kitchen. I’m grinding and vac sealing a pork butt today.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back