Chuck roast newbie question

pigpen

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bullseye
Going to smoke a chuck roast for slicing tomorrow, but the wife likes it a little rare. What I have read here says 195+ and probe tender, if I pull it at 170 am I sacrificing tenderness for rarity?

Thanks for the help

Going to smoke a chuck roast for slicing tomorrow, but the wife likes it a little rare. What I have read here says 195+ and probe tender, if I pull it at 170 am I sacrificing tenderness for rarity?

Thanks for the help
In my experience yes. I typically run my chuck roasts to 205 sometimes as high as 210+ before their probe tender.

I just did half a chuck roast tonight. Cooked it to just shy of 170°, would have liked it on longer, but the wife said it was the best chuck roast I’d ever smoked. I was also impressed.
IMG_1383.png

Thanks for the help
I've sliced at 195°f
Not pink inside. I'm not sure how tough it will be if finished at a lower temperature.

Thanks for the help
From my experience the only way to get a really good rare chuck roast is by making in sous vide. I know this is a Grill form, but just letting you know. 135* for about 36 hours. Take it out let it sit for a while and cool down then sear it on a ripping hot grill or cast-iron pan slice and it will rival any prime rib.

Thanks for the help
I don’t think a chuck roast is a beef cut you want to eat at rare or medium rare. It’ll be tough. The fat and sinew will not have melted. It’s a cut that needs low & slow until around 200 and probed for tenderness. It’s a poor man’s brisket and every bit as rewarding as brisket. I slather mine with Worcestershire sauce and use my standard brisket rub/seasoning.

I would recommend a rib roast smoked to 135, taken off, wrapped, and rested. Very rewarding medium rare beef. I make a paste out of olive oil, two packets of Beefy Onion Soup Mix, and finely chopped rosemary (to taste). I put that on the outside of the roast the night before and put it in the fridge overnight. Plastic wrapping overnight is recommended but I’ve had people suggest not wrapping overnight. I cook mine a little hotter at 250 or 275 til 135 (pull it at 125 if you prefer rare).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Srbbates
Back