Bull Char hickory?

Beavercreek_smoker

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I just loaded a bag of LJ char hickory in the hopper. I’ll need to burn off about 15 pounds that’s already in the hopper before I get to those. Just wondering what to expect? Will I get any smoke from them? Been experiencing with different flavors. Thanks in advance for the input.

Funny, I just picked up a bag of these too and am wondering what to expect. I plan on using them over the weekend. They're LJ, so the got to be good.....

Why didn't you use a shop vac to get all the old pellets out and run the auger empty? It's what I did when I switched from Traeger to recteq pellets.

I just loaded a bag of LJ char hickory in the hopper. I’ll need to burn off about 15 pounds that’s already in the hopper before I get to those. Just wondering what to expect? Will I get any smoke from them? Been experiencing with different flavors. Thanks in advance for the input.
I don't have a dedicated shop vac, but I've used a big 32oz cup to just scoop them back out. That works really fast. I just bought 220lb of LJ pellets myself, but none of the char-hickory. I'll be monitoring this thread to see what people think too

I don't have a dedicated shop vac, but I've used a big 32oz cup to just scoop them back out. That works really fast. I just bought 220lb of LJ pellets myself, but none of the char-hickory. I'll be monitoring this thread to see what people think too
I have many shop vacs but don't use any of them to remove pellets from the hopper. A large sour cream container works great very flexible to get down to the bottom of the hopper on my Bull the containers also work great for grease bucket liners.

A large sour cream container... also work great for grease bucket liners.
Same here, just started doing this myself this summer and it is great. Also save the lids to pop back on the container and everything is clean and no fuss when it’s time to take it to the trash.

I line my grease bucket with foil by first wrapping it around the outside of the bucket as a sort of mold. Pop the foil off and then it slips right into the inside of the bucket and the edges can be folded around the rim. When it's nearing 1/2 to 3/4 full, I put the bucket the fridge for the grease to firm up and then then pull the foil out, close it off at the top and pop it in the trash.

Been using for years and they are my favorite! You will love them.

I tried LJ 100% Hickory. Very very hard, snapped the motor auger pin.
The grill felt like it jumped up off the floor when it bit into a long pellet.
So-I called LJ, spoke to a very nice person there, explained any of the 100% hardwood or Char versions are very hard and their own equipment has trouble cutting them.
They sent me a bag of the Blend ...
try holding a long pellet under your thumb and across your index a middle finger and you’ll see how hard to snap.

you’re mileage may vary...

I tried LJ 100% Hickory. Very very hard, snapped the motor auger pin.
The grill felt like it jumped up off the floor when it bit into a long pellet.
So-I called LJ, spoke to a very nice person there, explained any of the 100% hardwood or Char versions are very hard and their own equipment has trouble cutting them.
They sent me a bag of the Blend ...
try holding a long pellet under your thumb and across your index a middle finger and you’ll see how hard to snap.

you’re mileage may vary...
Interesting, I’ve run through LJ cherry and apple and now using hickory with a bag of char hickory on top of that. I’ve never had any issues so far (knock knock).

I always mix the char hickory with other pellets. About a 50/50 mix. I haver never tried just straight char hickory. Is straight char hickory the way to go?

We like char hickory for quick hot cooks - steaks, burgers, etc. I don’t mix it - love it. Never had an issue. The LJ 100% oak is great for long smokes - probably my favorite for long smokes (at least for now). Competition Blend and Apple Blend are excellent as well.

I have many shop vacs but don't use any of them to remove pellets from the hopper. A large sour cream container works great very flexible to get down to the bottom of the hopper on my Bull the containers also work great for grease bucket liners.
If you use 5 gallon buckets to store your pellets you can use a Bucket Head shop vac ($24) to vacuum pellets directly back into your storage container.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back