What would be a good percentage mix of Hickory/Oak/Cherry?

JohnDS

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Hello. I'm looking to do a "go-to" mix that I can use for a while. I plan to do a mix of Hickory, Oak, and Cherry. Which percentage mix of each would give the strongest and most flavorful outcome?

Wow, I wasn't even aware Kingsford made wood pellets. I might just give them a try.
Can anyone else attest to the quality of Kingsford wood pellets vs Lumberjack?

Wow, I wasn't even aware Kingsford made wood pellets. I might just give them a try.
Can anyone else attest to the quality of Kingsford wood pellets vs Lumberjack?
Recteq is pushing Kingsford pellets. They made some sort of deal with Kingsford. If you watch any recent recteq youtube, Kingsford pellets are mentioned and shown in product placements in the background.

I bought a bag of Kingsford hickory when they first came out. Just to try, they were cheap. I didn't make notes at the time, but I recall they were OK. May have left more ash compared to Lumberjack. LJ remains my preferred, and I believe they sell an Oak/Hickory/Cherry blend.

Yes the LJ Supreme is the blend the original poster mentioned. It is 1/3 of each wood. I agree LJ has been good for me too.

Yea thanks for the info, I actually decided against the Kingsford. Maybe they should just stick to charcoal.

Yea i just bought the Lumberjack Supreme blend instead. I was gonna buy the cherry, hickory, and oak separate, but they were out of cherry.

Their blends work pretty well. I use the competition one quite a bit. It is maple hickory and cherry. Let us know what you think about this one.

What I really like is the cooking pellets perfect mix. When I first got my 700, I used those pellets and broke the smoker in with my first brisket. Came out awesome, and the smoke smelled so good, like you can eat it lol. They are too expensive though unless you buy a pallet. But who wants that many bags sitting around? Idk if that's a good idea. So yea, I've been using the Lumberjack at half the price and like you said, they work good, i just never used their mixes yet.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back