Bull Caster wheels falling apart

Deerte

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
So, the other day, I was smoking a brisket. It looked like my caster wheels were cocked in. They didn’t turn like they should when I was pushing it out of the garage either. So today, I propped it up. The wheels seemed loose, so I tried spinning them to see if I could tighten them. Instead, ball bearings started falling out. Have any of you had this issue as well? I sent a message to customer service.

Yep, I had the same problem recently.

https://www.recteqforum.com/threads/problem-swivel-casters-on-stock-legs-broke.2098/

Definitely contact RT. I'm swapping up to a comp cart because I think that will hold up better than their casters. That's turned into a longer story, so in the meantime I've replaced the original casters (not RT's). Really glad I did - it moves better than ever. If you're interested I can get you the link to what I bought.

https://www.recteqforum.com/threads/problem-swivel-casters-on-stock-legs-broke.2098/

Definitely contact RT. I'm swapping up to a comp cart because I think that will hold up better than their casters. That's turned into a longer story, so in the meantime I've replaced the original casters (not RT's). Really glad I did - it moves better than ever. If you're interested I can get you the link to what I bought.
That sounds exactly like what happening to me. If love tithe link to the casters. Thank you.

So, the other day, I was smoking a brisket. It looked like my caster wheels were cocked in. They didn’t turn like they should when I was pushing it out of the garage either. So today, I propped it up. The wheels seemed loose, so I tried spinning them to see if I could tighten them. Instead, ball bearings started falling out. Have any of you had this issue as well? I sent a message to customer service.
It happens recteq should be in contact with you soon if not give them a call and they will send out new casters.

That sounds exactly like what happening to me. If love tithe link to the casters. Thank you.
Here is what I bought, took inspiration from the wheel mod thread for the old straight legs.
https://www.amazon.com/Steelex-D2616-275-Pound-Threaded-Polyurethane/dp/B0000DD1F6/

They have 3-inch, 4-inch, and 5-inch options. I chose the 4-inch for the higher weight rating. Depending on your location, that could make the grill stand a bit taller on the right side, which could impact grease draining. There are ways to deal with that or go with the shorter 3-inch casters. Even at 150 lb rating, I bet they're an improvement over the stock OEM casters. (I'm surprised and disappointed by how badly they failed.)

Other casters will work. The important spec is the M12 thread (metric) on the stem; it threads right in.

Take a look at service caster inventory - prices are a little high, but seems like a lot of choices for threaded casters & wheels. Lots of other wheel and caster suppliers. Use to get a mfg and part no., then shop for price. Oddly enough, the RT-700 picture on the RecTec web site looks like the right front threaded caster is not aligned like it should be. Back one seems OK. This is a good component for RT to offer a heavy duty option. Seems like wheels and casters are the place companies try to save $. (Shopsmith did too, until everyone complained).

I replaced stock casters on my gas grill with 175 lb rated (700 lbs total) total lock casters from Lowes on my gas grill and on a storage cart. They work really well on rough brick surface - probably need something bigger (5") for softer surfaces. Rating probably isn't too important - except you get better bearings (usually) with higher ratings, but diameter & width of wheel is. Don't buy rubber wheels - doesn't last well outside.

https://shop.servicecaster.com/Total-Lock-Caster-metric-stem-p/scc-tsttl20s314-spus-m1215.htm.

Here's the Rec Tec picure. RT-700

1598378607127.png

You are describing what is happening to me. Just have not jacked up to see if bearings are falling out.

The bearings may fall out even without jacking up the grill. Mine started dropping with each move (there are 2 sizes), and the casters will get looser without them in place.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Srbbates
Back