Bull Can't Get Past 360 Degrees

ghuns

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Fired up the Bull about an hour ago to cook a deep dish pizza. Set it to 450 and made the pizza. Went out to put it on and temp was at 362. It was running about a half hour so I wasn't too worried. Now a full hour later it's chugging along in the 350s. I've never had it not make temp. It's about 60 outside and windy. I did move it closer to the house out wind. Made no difference. Burning Pit Boss Competition Blend pellets, which have always been great for me. Amy suggestions?

Did you set it on the app or the grill? Can you bump it up using the grills control?

I set it on the grill and can control it with the app. I cranked it to 500. Still chugging along around 350.

I put the two meat probes directly on the rack. They are reading about 450.

Think I found the problem.

The temp probe has always leaned to the left. Upon inspection, it's now touching the left side of the grill.

Attachments

• IMAG0580.jpg
    IMAG0580.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 138
Looks like you discovered a huge heat sink. it is Little strange however because it would seem that the side of the grill may be a little warmer than 350. Let us know if that was the fix. Some of us may run across the same problem and be confused. Good diagnostics work.

...it is Little strange however because it would seem that the side of the grill may be a little warmer than 350...

On a warmer day with less wind, I'm sure it would be.

I've cooked enough deep dish pizzas on this thing to have a pretty good idea of what it should look like throughout the cooking time. 30 minutes into the cook, I was sure it was much hotter than the probe was telling me.

I jammed a big screwdriver between the outer wall of the grill and the probe and gently bent it over to the right. I'm sure it will be fine.

And my wife said it was best deep dish pizza I've cooked so far. Sometimes you just have to trust the process, not the gadgets.

Ghuns... I think you hit the nail on the head. The reason we cook on fire is because it’s an ancient science and artwork. We didn’t have those fancy gadgets and gizmos back in the dinosaur days. Yet we still ate well.

The buildup on the RTD can also cause inaccurate readings. Should be cleaning it with vinegar when you clean your grill

I have never clean my RTD. Will vinegar clean it if there is a bunch of build up.

If you have never done it, vinegar will work but it will take a lot of scrubbing. You can wrap it in a rag and keep it shoal for a few hours to cut down your work

It really should be done regularly and just takes a few minutes if done when you’re cleaning your grill

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gymanji
Back