Bull Buy Again?

Work friend of mine has his new Grilla Grills Silverbac getting delivered today, he actually bought that model/brand upon my telling him about it. He was gonna go with an RT 700, but once I mentioned that I would replace my 590 with a Silverbac next, he said he'd do a first trial run for me. :) I'll let y'all know what his impressions are in time if interested?

https://www.grillagrills.com/products/silverbac-alpha?msclkid=3822387543c11b40bfab5c2993378bcc
I haven't heard anything bad. My next grill will be the Chimp. Pimping my Chimp is a dream come true

I think there are still laws about doing that in public places or within 500 ft of a school. 🤔 But you be you, CK!

(we could always crowd source bail $$)
Thanks @Mannydog , I may take you up on your offer

For what it’s worth, I am happy with my RT-700. It checks off most of the blocks and does most of the things I need to do with a smoker. Some are quick to overlook the most basic of factors in an effort to remain patriotic but I personally believe that the material and build quality can sometimes outweigh the location of manufacturing. Technically, Recteq could skirt their responsibilities by claiming their product is “assembled in America by Americans” (by us, lol) analogous to auto makers. But, at least they don't play games, which I appreciate. I would rather have 304SS than to have cheaper, inferor steel with the made in America label. But each person should draw their own lines in the sand. I also make compromises, that’s why I carry an iPhone that was “designed in America”. Good luck with your selection.

For what it’s worth, I am happy with my RT-700. It checks off most of the blocks and does most of the things I need to do with a smoker. Some are quick to overlook the most basic of factors in an effort to remain patriotic but I personally believe that the material and build quality can sometimes outweigh the location of manufacturing. Technically, Recteq could skirt their responsibilities by claiming their product is “assembled in America by Americans” (by us, lol) analogous to auto makers. But, at least they don't play games, which I appreciate. I would rather have 304SS than to have cheaper, inferor steel with the made in America label. But each person should draw their own lines in the sand. I also make compromises, that’s why I carry an iPhone that was “designed in America”. Good luck with your selection.

Sounds like Grilla grills are the best choice in that regard, they look to have superior build quality and materials over even Rectec.....bit cheaper too and assembled in Michigan.

I would not. Recteq RT-700 caster wheels are of poor quality. I’ve had mine for about 7 months and have had to replace both twice already. Recteq really should provide a solution for this obvious problem - but all they do is send you the same replacements. The bearings fall out of them.

Please note I am very gentle when moving the grill from my garage to the patio - always on concrete.
BugEater K,

You nailed this item and if I were shopping, would appreciate your feedback. I purchased the competition cart with my RT-700 based on my review of owner experiences and looking at the overall fragility of the Bull’s design. I have never been happier with that decision. Unfortunately, RT’s design is similar to that of its namesake, a real Bull. The most vulnerable part of a real bull is its legs because they support all the weight and would be the most likely path for physical damage. I have seen post after post of wheel related problems and agree with you that their 2nd generation design that is now around 5 years old is not sufficient to preclude problems. Well done with the way you spotlighted something that could become a problem for new buyers and legacy owners. Perhaps RT will do away with the standard cart and just increase the overall price to inlcude the competition cart based on its procurement price instead of adding additional costs to enhance the overall experience for the users. In my opinion, it would be better than adding an external plug or second shelf as an upgrade.

Sounds like Grilla grills are the best choice in that regard, they look to have superior build quality and materials over even Rectec.....bit cheaper too and assembled in Michigan.
I admit I don’t own a Grilla but have heard positive things about them. I like to think that my Bull was also assembled in America, by me, lol. I get your point but I thought Grill also uses foreign material (i.e., metals, controllers, and the like) possibly from China. Here is a quote from a credible source:

“The short answer is that Grilla Grills are made in China. However, the business is still owned by an American family, and has been around for over four decades now.”

Source Citation:
https://griddleking.com/are-grilla-grills-made-in-the-usa-and-who-owns-grilla-grills/

I had a Pitboss before my 1250 and there's no way I'd ever go back. I considered the Silverbac and I read about rusting on them and the Camp Chefs. 6 yr warranty sold me on the 1250 and this thing holds temps better than our new oven. And this past winter it had no problems staying steady here in the Ohio cold. I was looking at welding blankets before it arrived and once I used it, I decided it wasn't needed. And as far as shipping, it came in a huge doublewall box, strapped down to a pallet. Don't see how they would get damaged outside of some trucking company dropping something on it. I know price wise compared to Pitboss it's a big pill to swallow, but I have zero regrets and am so happy I went Recteq every time I use it.

I went to Ohio State, my sister went to Ohio State, and my brother went to Ohio State. But then he moved to the state up north and went to U of M. Gosh, I sure miss him!
I resided up there for a few years.
Nice to win a Natty while living in that state😂

Love my 700 here in SD. I have a cover for it but it sits on our uncovered deck 90% of the time without it on as i use it multiple times a week. i believe its close to five years old and the only issue i had was the digital screen wasnt working always. Recteq sent me a new board instantly. Not sure on the others your looking at but Id definitely buy recteq again.
I love San Diego. I love the weather there too. But keeping my 700 uncovered on a porch or deck here in CHS is a very different outcome. I keep mine with the cover on in my screened in porch. Our summer humidity and serious afternoon thunderstorms aren’t conducive to keeping it uncovered outside. Of course I’m saying all of this but I’ve never tried it with any pellet grill I’ve owned (Traeger BBQ075 and now my RT-700). I’ve seen stainless steel gas grills experience a short life from it.

I consider my RT-700 an investment. I treat it like that. And, of course, we enjoy the heck out of it.

So not throwing a stone at you DD in SD. I’d probably let my grills sit outside if I lived there too. It’s just a different outdoor environment here in Chucktown.

And…to respond to this overall thread, I can’t speak to shipping issues from RT. Mine arrived in good shape. My granddaughter helped me put it together and me and my family have been enjoying it for 3 years now. I recommend RecTeq. I agree with another response about getting the 1250 for the dual racks versus another 700 if/when I do it again. Otherwise, experiment with different brands, blends, and flavors of pellets to settle on something that will consistently give you good results.

I am looking for a new pellet grill. I have narrowed the list down to three.

Pit Boss Competition 1250
Recteq RT 700
Smokin Brothers Premier Plus 30

These are $699, $1199, $1699 respectively. My question is would you buy the RT 700 again, or spend less, or spend more for American made? I know a few people personally with each model and all are mostly happy with each. Whatever I end up with will spend most of its time on an uncovered deck. Just looking for a little advice before purchasing. Recteq I would have to ship. I can go get either of the others in an hour or so. Any ideas?
Try 700….So far… only 1/2 day in and a resounding YES!!! Cooked on it for dinner and was blown away!

BugEater K,

You nailed this item and if I were shopping, would appreciate your feedback. I purchased the competition cart with my RT-700 based on my review of owner experiences and looking at the overall fragility of the Bull’s design. I have never been happier with that decision. Unfortunately, RT’s design is similar to that of its namesake, a real Bull. The most vulnerable part of a real bull is its legs because they support all the weight and would be the most likely path for physical damage. I have seen post after post of wheel related problems and agree with you that their 2nd generation design that is now around 5 years old is not sufficient to preclude problems. Well done with the way you spotlighted something that could become a problem for new buyers and legacy owners. Perhaps RT will do away with the standard cart and just increase the overall price to inlcude the competition cart based on its procurement price instead of adding additional costs to enhance the overall experience for the users. In my opinion, it would be better than adding an external plug or second shelf as an upgrade.
Thanks for the show of support. If not for these casters, I would have recommended it.

I have a five year old RT700 and have not had any issues and love it. Over the last few years I’m seeing more negative feedback on the Bull. My personal opinion is the quality of China has gone down hill since Covid. I don’t believe RT is getting the same quality as it was pre Covid. With all the problems between US and China in present times I don’t know if I’d buy anything made in China.
This right here. Pre-covid their QC was dialed in. Now not so much. Vasty different experiences have been had.

Nothing too crazy, but just be prepared not to have the same flawless experience others have had. Keep those expectations in check and you should be ok. I had mine set a little too high given all of the hype.

I looked at the 700 and 1250 and upgraded up to the 1250 for the extra features and they were not worth it. They didn't really work well in practice.

I looked at the 700 and 1250 and upgraded up to the 1250 for the extra features and they were not worth it. They didn't really work well in practice.

I also bought the 1250 for the upgrades and in my option they are well worth it. I use the front folding front shelf every cook. I use the upper rack to cook on almost all the time even when I do not need the extra space for what I am smoking, lets me put a drip pan under what I am smoking. Also use the electrical outlet to keep my ThermoWorks Signals unit plugged in and not have to worry about the batteries running out on long cooks. At the time I bought the 1250 it had the higher RPM auger motor than the 700 had and it had the cast iron heat deflector which the 700 did not. Lets not forget the 1250 also has the dual band WiFi feature which the 700 did not. I have not had a single problem except for having to replace two caster wheels in a year and a half, the downside of having to move it back and forth over pavers every cook, not a big problem they are very easy to replace.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan Hollister
Back