Bull Buy Again?

I could see myself getting another 1070. Quick, easy, shiny. There were several minor annoyances at the beginning, you get used to it a realize every one else has issues too.

I’m pretty sure my choice will be Recteq. I’m about 6 hours from there. Maybe I’ll make a Friday afternoon trip and stay the night and hit the showroom on Saturday morning. Do they sell them preassembled or still in the box? I’m thinking if I pick it up, I can at least minimize risk of the carrier getting it to me. In the box would definitely travel better on a 6 hour drive. Maybe I’m better shipping and picking it up at my local Estes hub only 20 minutes away. Thoughts?
As the standard practice, there are no preassembled grills for sale. However, you may be able to score a scratch and dent model, but being prepared to get a grill in the box is the best plan. At 6 hours away, I’d https://www.recteqforum.com/attachm...142&hash=8a7307abd161b72e4ebd2d74e567dc88make the trip just for the experience of being there. And, in the past, buying direct can save you some money off the price of the grill as they don’t have to ship it. Not something they advertise, but it does happen.

I am looking for a new pellet grill. I have narrowed the list down to three.

Pit Boss Competition 1250
Recteq RT 700
Smokin Brothers Premier Plus 30

These are $699, $1199, $1699 respectively. My question is would you buy the RT 700 again, or spend less, or spend more for American made? I know a few people personally with each model and all are mostly happy with each. Whatever I end up with will spend most of its time on an uncovered deck. Just looking for a little advice before purchasing. Recteq I would have to ship. I can go get either of the others in an hour or so. Any ideas?
I have had a RT 700 for about a year now. I have owned three different Traegers. Would never buy one again. I Recteq has been flawless. I have thoroughly enjoyed it. I would definitely buy it again.

Recteq RT 700

These are $699, $1199, $1699 respectively. My question is would you buy the RT 700 again, or spend less, or spend more for American made? I know a few people personally with each model and all are mostly happy with each. Whatever I end up with will spend most of its time on an uncovered deck. Just looking for a little advice before purchasing. Recteq I would have to ship. I can go get either of the others in an hour or so. Any ideas?
I have the RT 340, 380, 590 and 1250 (all for varying purposes). If your budget will allow you to spend $1700, you should go with the RT 1250. It's the same size as the 700, but comes with the front shelf and built in 2nd rack. I love it. I've had it about a year and it is my favorite of the four.

I have a Pit Boss 820 and a Rec Tec 590 both about 2 to 3 years old. I would never buy a Pit Boss again. Getting anything under warranty is a real crap shoot and tech support is a mess. Waited over 6 months for one part. Kept getting the run around they did not have the part all the while having the same grills being mfg and sold.

We purchased ours last fall. It really has been a game changer. The wife uses it weekly- boneless skinless chicken thighs are a hit with the kids. It’s easy to use ; and to me well built. I’d definitely buy again

I have had a RT 700 for about a year now. I have owned three different Traegers. Would never buy one again. I Recteq has been flawless. I have thoroughly enjoyed it. I would definitely buy it again.
Pit Boss is a piece of junk. Won't hold temperature and mine caught on fire and nearly burned my house down. I filed a warranty claim with Pit Boss and they never even responded to it. I have had the RT 700 for several years and it is by far a superior pellet grill.

I'd probably do what I did last time...go completely mental researching everything, then go with the 700 due to reputation, quality, price and customer service.
Check that. I'd likely go with the 1250 to increase capacity - I did add a shelf to my 700.

I would definitely buy the 1070 again (with cabinet). I like the added storage, and looks in general. The "minor" annoyances that I had were easily solved (see my earlier threads) and are no longer problems to me. Also, would consider the 590 if cost were an issue. GrillGrates are a great addition to any RT product as well.

I would not. Recteq RT-700 caster wheels are of poor quality. I’ve had mine for about 7 months and have had to replace both twice already. Recteq really should provide a solution for this obvious problem - but all they do is send you the same replacements. The bearings fall out of them.

Please note I am very gentle when moving the grill from my garage to the patio - always on concrete.

I'd definitely buy again. The quality of the barrel, CPU, and mostly amazing app are worth the price of admission. I don't move my 700 around much at all, but if I get wheel issues, I have a friend who is a metal fabricator who can hook me up with something more sturdy.

700 hands down do it again. A friend was comparing his recteq to a pit boss. No comparison! The recteq is a better and heavier build. Several of my family and friends got them at close to the same time. All of us are very happy. My brother in law has a Smokin Brothers and he got a recteq and he likes it a lot. He’s happy with the Smokin Bro but said the temps on the rt hold better.

Recteq RT 700

Always go with recteq. I have a camp chef which I think is better than traeger and I have a friend who has a traeger. My 700 is 200% better than both of them. The quality is like none other and my only regret is not getting a bigger one. I cook & bake everything on my recteq from bread, pizza, steaks, pulled pork, scalloped potatoes, etc. I haven’t used my oven in a year. Watch some comparison videos and you’ll see why they are the best.

Recteq RT 700

Definitely go with a Recteq RT 700. I have owned three traeger’s. We’re so dissatisfied with them. But a Recteq and it’s been wonderful. Built like a tank. And it keeps temperatures within 1 to 2°. Love it.

Recteq RT 700

I have the RT680 and I bought it 7 years ago. I upgraded the controller to the wifi version so it is now very similar to a 700. I think the difference is paint. I would definitely buy again but the thing is so well built I can't imaging that I will need to.

The warranty was 6 years but the original controller failed at 7 years. They gave me a 50% discount on the wifi replacement unit.

Customer support has been amazing.

I have had my 700 out on an exposed deck for over five years now. I use the RT cover when not in use. I've never had an issue with pellet jams. I do keep the outside clean and waxed (about twice per year). It still looks brand new on the outside. This picture was taken Feb '23. Yes, I would buy again. I could not imagine any others being better at this price point.

Old RT700 2-27-23.jpg

I have had my 700 out on an exposed deck for over five years now. I use the RT cover when not in use. I've never had an issue with pellet jams. I do keep the outside clean and waxed (about twice per year). It still looks brand new on the outside. This picture was taken Feb '23. Yes, I would buy again. I could not imagine any others being better at this price point.

View attachment 19095
Ok, on the how you clean your grill post I’d like to hear your process.

Back to the question would I, based on my experience with the 700 and RT, absolutely. It has just worked. Might I do something different knowing what I know today and considering my physical issues, I might go up in price point. Would I love to have another stick burner, for the smoke and ease of changing wood flavor, otherwise heck no. I can add smoke and not have to baby sit or haul wood and break my already broken back. I like lazy smokin’ 🍻 I am not suggesting anyone on this forum is lazy🤔 I got mine last year in March and have been very happy. Rain and electricity still bug me as mine is on a purposefully pored slab about 50 ft. from the house over 100 from the router and out under a cover in the elements. Oh, no WiFi issues ever, alerts going from grill to RT servers to phone, well most of us know RT servers are not scalable but I watch my cooks so not a deal.

Last edited:
Ok, on the how you clean your grill post I’d like to hear your process.

Back to the question would I, based on my experience with the 700 and RT, absolutely. It has just worked. Might I do something different knowing what I know today and considering my physical issues, I might go up in price point. Would I love to have another stick burner, for the smoke and ease of changing wood flavor, otherwise heck no. I can add smoke and not have to baby sit or haul wood and break my already broken back. I like lazy smokin’ 🍻 I am not suggesting anyone on this forum is lazy🤔 I got mine last year in March and have been very happy. Rain and electricity still bug me as mine is on a purposefully pored slab about 50 ft. from the house over 100 from the router and out under a cover in the elements. Oh, no WiFi issues ever, alerts going from grill to RT servers to phone, well most of us know RT servers are not scalable but I watch my cooks so not a deal.
I just use liquid Barkeepers friend and a green scratch pad. I then follow up with a stainless-steel polish. I may have used some wax once.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back