Bullseye temperature issues

CarpeInferi

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bullseye
Yup yup, I keep reading about setting Something to 17 or 20, I may attempt to do that before I do it again. Its disheartening in a way.... I was eager to get this, figured I could go all directions for cooking. I've trusted old weber for 12 years now..... sold it to my neighbor, I'm afraid I may regret my decision lol
To give you some hope I've done some low/slow cooks on my Bullseye and am planning another this weekend (pork butt), but absolutely do not trust the built in temp probe. I use a ThermoWorks Signals ambient probe to monitor grate temps and adjust based on that.

I still need to call RT when my work schedule and weather allows, but through adjusting the offset I've gotten mine from being consistently 200+ hotter than the built in probe read to 25-50 hotter. Not ideal but it works in the interim.

Chris_G

Rec-Traeger Frankenstein
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
  2. Bullseye
Thanks, I haven't purchased a thermometer yet, guess this is a good reason to grab one
I wanted to be clear that I have done overnight cooks with the Bullseye but it required constant attention. Again, I treat the 380 as a pellet Weber kettle.

I mentioned leaving the settings at factory default and perhaps I should have explained why. Typically when you call RT they will ask about pellets and sometimes suggest you try another bag / brand. They will also ask about controller settings and walk you through restoring factory defaults and tell you to try that and call them back. I was trying to save you that last step.

Anyway, that's my experience YMMV

ORazor

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bullseye
Yup yup, I keep reading about setting Something to 17 or 20, I may attempt to do that before I do it again. Its disheartening in a way.... I was eager to get this, figured I could go all directions for cooking. I've trusted old weber for 12 years now..... sold it to my neighbor, I'm afraid I may regret my decision lol
There’s nothing to regret. Simply do the offset to +15 to +17. It’s a feature of the grill - there are directions in the instruction manual. Takes 20 seconds. I do low and slow every week and validate with independent temperature probes. 6-10 hour cooks. Easy peasy. Stays within 20 degrees of 225F, up or down. Don’t believe those that tell you that this is only for hot and fast. There’s plenty of us out there that have simply taken 20 seconds to change one setting, and are loving this grill for low and slow.

WDIK

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bullseye
There’s nothing to regret. Simply do the offset to +15 to +17. It’s a feature of the grill - there are directions in the instruction manual. Takes 20 seconds. I do low and slow every week and validate with independent temperature probes. 6-10 hour cooks. Easy peasy. Stays within 20 degrees of 225F, up or down. Don’t believe those that tell you that this is only for hot and fast. There’s plenty of us out there that have simply taken 20 seconds to change one setting, and are loving this grill for low and slow.
I need to try a different pellet brand or something. Using a +15 offset and Traeger Signature pellets, the higher offset somewhat tames the highs (+30 degrees), but drops the lows pretty far (-55 degrees) with the grill set at 225 and a probe in the center. Another probe directly over the built-in probe is farther off on the high end. Running with a +5 offset increased the high difference a little, but kept the lows within 10 degrees. Wondering if I need to try feed rate next. (or switch pellet brands like I mentioned)

I bought the Traeger pellets because that is the most common brand locally (small town). I've since picked up some Pit Boss and Weber pellets.

Had some time and rare ideal weather conditions after an Easter family get-together so tested temps for about 5 hours tonight.

Last edited:

Greg Jones

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
  2. Trailblazer
  3. Bullseye
  4. Matador
  5. WyldSide
Wondering if I need to try feed rate next…
Changing the feed rate has one job-lowering the minimum temp of the grill when the grill is set at minimum. It will do nothing to make the actual temp and the calculated temp align. Plenty, almost endless, discussion, on minimum feed rate here on this forum should you want to search for it.

I understand the frustration with the Bullseye high temp differences, but there is no setting that is going to change the fact that these PID controllers calculate temps by an algorithm in the controller, not an actual reading at the RTD probe. The offset feature of the controller is a percentage, so at best it will be ‘accurate’ at the temperature where you change it, not across the entire range of temp settings. Perhaps the algorithm needs to be improved, and that appears to be the case every time recteq releases a new controller.

Personally, I probably cook on the Bullseye most at 325*-400*, so if I were to tweak the offset, it would be somewhere in the mid point of that. Then if it still, as example, ran x degrees cooler when set at 225* or y degrees hotter when set to 500*, then I know that about the grill and adjust my cooking temp up or down to compensate. I’ve cooked for far too many years on grills and smokers with no, or non-functional, thermometers to think I can’t cook good food unless my ThermoWorks pit probe says so.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.