Bullseye temperature issues

Yup yup, I keep reading about setting Something to 17 or 20, I may attempt to do that before I do it again. Its disheartening in a way.... I was eager to get this, figured I could go all directions for cooking. I've trusted old weber for 12 years now..... sold it to my neighbor, I'm afraid I may regret my decision lol
To give you some hope I've done some low/slow cooks on my Bullseye and am planning another this weekend (pork butt), but absolutely do not trust the built in temp probe. I use a ThermoWorks Signals ambient probe to monitor grate temps and adjust based on that.

I still need to call RT when my work schedule and weather allows, but through adjusting the offset I've gotten mine from being consistently 200+ hotter than the built in probe read to 25-50 hotter. Not ideal but it works in the interim.

Thanks, I haven't purchased a thermometer yet, guess this is a good reason to grab one
I wanted to be clear that I have done overnight cooks with the Bullseye but it required constant attention. Again, I treat the 380 as a pellet Weber kettle.

I mentioned leaving the settings at factory default and perhaps I should have explained why. Typically when you call RT they will ask about pellets and sometimes suggest you try another bag / brand. They will also ask about controller settings and walk you through restoring factory defaults and tell you to try that and call them back. I was trying to save you that last step.

Anyway, that's my experience YMMV

Yup yup, I keep reading about setting Something to 17 or 20, I may attempt to do that before I do it again. Its disheartening in a way.... I was eager to get this, figured I could go all directions for cooking. I've trusted old weber for 12 years now..... sold it to my neighbor, I'm afraid I may regret my decision lol
There’s nothing to regret. Simply do the offset to +15 to +17. It’s a feature of the grill - there are directions in the instruction manual. Takes 20 seconds. I do low and slow every week and validate with independent temperature probes. 6-10 hour cooks. Easy peasy. Stays within 20 degrees of 225F, up or down. Don’t believe those that tell you that this is only for hot and fast. There’s plenty of us out there that have simply taken 20 seconds to change one setting, and are loving this grill for low and slow.

There’s nothing to regret. Simply do the offset to +15 to +17. It’s a feature of the grill - there are directions in the instruction manual. Takes 20 seconds. I do low and slow every week and validate with independent temperature probes. 6-10 hour cooks. Easy peasy. Stays within 20 degrees of 225F, up or down. Don’t believe those that tell you that this is only for hot and fast. There’s plenty of us out there that have simply taken 20 seconds to change one setting, and are loving this grill for low and slow.
I need to try a different pellet brand or something. Using a +15 offset and Traeger Signature pellets, the higher offset somewhat tames the highs (+30 degrees), but drops the lows pretty far (-55 degrees) with the grill set at 225 and a probe in the center. Another probe directly over the built-in probe is farther off on the high end. Running with a +5 offset increased the high difference a little, but kept the lows within 10 degrees. Wondering if I need to try feed rate next. (or switch pellet brands like I mentioned)

I bought the Traeger pellets because that is the most common brand locally (small town). I've since picked up some Pit Boss and Weber pellets.

Had some time and rare ideal weather conditions after an Easter family get-together so tested temps for about 5 hours tonight.

Last edited:
Wondering if I need to try feed rate next…
Changing the feed rate has one job-lowering the minimum temp of the grill when the grill is set at minimum. It will do nothing to make the actual temp and the calculated temp align. Plenty, almost endless, discussion, on minimum feed rate here on this forum should you want to search for it.

I understand the frustration with the Bullseye high temp differences, but there is no setting that is going to change the fact that these PID controllers calculate temps by an algorithm in the controller, not an actual reading at the RTD probe. The offset feature of the controller is a percentage, so at best it will be ‘accurate’ at the temperature where you change it, not across the entire range of temp settings. Perhaps the algorithm needs to be improved, and that appears to be the case every time recteq releases a new controller.

Personally, I probably cook on the Bullseye most at 325*-400*, so if I were to tweak the offset, it would be somewhere in the mid point of that. Then if it still, as example, ran x degrees cooler when set at 225* or y degrees hotter when set to 500*, then I know that about the grill and adjust my cooking temp up or down to compensate. I’ve cooked for far too many years on grills and smokers with no, or non-functional, thermometers to think I can’t cook good food unless my ThermoWorks pit probe says so.

Ok so I have been playing with my 380 trying to get the high temps in check. Have been slowly bumping up the offset and currently am at +18. It’s currently set at 250 showing actual at 250 from internal probe. And my maverick probe is showing around 270. Big difference from the original 75-90 degree difference

I have had temperatures as high as 349 or better in the lowest temperature mode possible.
Bottom line is this thing shouldn't be that hard to work with and by no means is it set it forget it so there's a lot of people out there that wouldn't be able to operate the grill.
I may change my mind but at this point I'm extremely disappointed and I've had it for one day

Changing the feed rate has one job-lowering the minimum temp of the grill when the grill is set at minimum. It will do nothing to make the actual temp and the calculated temp align. Plenty, almost endless, discussion, on minimum feed rate here on this forum should you want to search for it.

I understand the frustration with the Bullseye high temp differences, but there is no setting that is going to change the fact that these PID controllers calculate temps by an algorithm in the controller, not an actual reading at the RTD probe. The offset feature of the controller is a percentage, so at best it will be ‘accurate’ at the temperature where you change it, not across the entire range of temp settings. Perhaps the algorithm needs to be improved, and that appears to be the case every time recteq releases a new controller.

Personally, I probably cook on the Bullseye most at 325*-400*, so if I were to tweak the offset, it would be somewhere in the mid point of that. Then if it still, as example, ran x degrees cooler when set at 225* or y degrees hotter when set to 500*, then I know that about the grill and adjust my cooking temp up or down to compensate. I’ve cooked for far too many years on grills and smokers with no, or non-functional, thermometers to think I can’t cook good food unless my ThermoWorks pit probe says so.
It shouldn't be that hard

I have had temperatures as high as 349 or better in the lowest temperature mode possible.
Bottom line is this thing shouldn't be that hard to work with and by no means is it set it forget it so there's a lot of people out there that wouldn't be able to operate the grill.
I may change my mind but at this point I'm extremely disappointed and I've had it for one day
Bullseye has its place and plenty here have one. In all fairness I've had my issues with the Bullseye.

If you're that unhappy with the Bullseye contact Recteq and return it. Life is too short!

Last edited:
I just had my Bullseye grill dropped off by UPS. After reading this thread I am wondering if I made a mistake buying it. I will be putting it together shortly and doing the initial burn in. Is there anything special I should do?

I just had my Bullseye grill dropped off by UPS. After reading this thread I am wondering if I made a mistake buying it. I will be putting it together shortly and doing the initial burn in. Is there anything special I should do?
Read the directions.

Of course! I already looked at the assembly video on Youtube.

Should I start looking into changing the offset now or wait till I start cooking. My plan is to cook ribs Saturday.

Should I start looking into changing the offset now or wait till I start cooking. My plan is to cook ribs Saturday.
I wouldn’t change anything until I had a baseline of how your grill cooks with the default settings. Additionally, I’d suggest your first few cooks be something less, let’s say, ‘adventurous‘ than a 5+ hour cook with ribs. Best to get to know the grill first.

Do yourself a favor and don't mess with the settings. If you're having issues contact customer service.

Thanks. Got it assembled and doing the initial burn in as I type.

Attachments

• 16221602059137684659110118576126.jpg
    16221602059137684659110118576126.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 69
I finally got it to within 15 degrees accuracy, that's the best it has done. If only I could get it to get to and stay around 225 I would be happy. The lowest it will go and stay steady is 260. It's too late to return it so I will live with it but if I ever buy another pellet grill, it will not be a recteq.

I changed my offset to +15. When I place my ambient ThermoPro probe close to the Recteq probe there is a very close correlation in temperature. The Recteq is slower to respond to changes, but that's to be expected based on the fuel and the firmware they use. You're not controlling a gas valve so swings are to be expected.
When I place the ThermoPro at any other location I am seeing temps 15 - 20 degrees higher. Again, to be expected as it's not against the side of the grill. I think the temperature at the grate is much closer to the temp the Recteq is displaying when compared to a Weber or other grill thermometer in the top of the lid. On my Weber Smokey Mountain dome temps were 15 - 50 degrees lower than the temps at the grate on low and slow cooks.

I have done a chuck roast for 6 - 7 hours at 225, meat loaf at LO to 375 degrees and ribs for 5 hours, and have to say that Low and Slow does work on the Bullseye.

I finally got it to within 15 degrees accuracy, that's the best it has done. If only I could get it to get to and stay around 225 I would be happy. The lowest it will go and stay steady is 260. It's too late to return it so I will live with it but if I ever buy another pellet grill, it will not be a recteq.
Be sure to let us know what brand you get. You certainly have tons of options out there, good luck!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back